Thread: Tummy troubles

Tummy troubles

Interesting MND research blog about the gut microbiome:

https://mndresearch.blog/2019/05/31/...r-in-our-guts/

including a TedMed talk by Dr John F Cryan of University College Cork.

Doug

Thank you for sharing the link, Doug. As you say, it's an interesting read.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Thanks Doug, interesting. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Also, thank you from me Doug - an interesting plank in the wall - I do wonder how important this "plank" really is?
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by nunhead_man View Post
    Also, thank you from me Doug - an interesting plank in the wall - I do wonder how important this "plank" really is?
    Andy,

I am, sadly, cynical about the biome. It’s a fashion thing, leaky gut, without much solid science behind it. It’s really early days as well.
    I can see the early work just finding a mild Association but no actual pathway to that association. Along with the classic statement “More research needed”.

I firmly believe all the focus should be on understanding the actual disease process and interrupting/slowing.

I don’t really care about cause, I’d rather slow down. If we can slow it down, or abate it, it’s no longer a disease that kills.

It’s analogous to finding why my classic mini rusts continually (design), rather than spotting the issue as it happens and treating it. The problem with MND is that the causes are almost certainly majority genetic based with numerous mild things which trigger the final disease. It’s not like lung cancer, which is 99% smoking.