Thread: CHC and equipment

Forum Member

CHC and equipment

Hi this is my first time posting , my Husband has had MND 5 years ,for the last 3 years we have had a single 2metre ceiling track hoist to move Darron from chair to bed and vice versa. This was declared unfit for purpose June 2018, but with several temporary OT,s this has still not been sorted. We are now in process of applying for CHC which in principle was told we would get. Would we get the H track system through CHC or do we still have to go through council social care and have a financial assessment has the cost would be over the 1000 that council will cover?

Thanks Jo

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear about Darron. I don't see how they can declare something is not fit for purpose without replacing it.

I don't think that CHC pays for equipment, the care provider might ask for it and sort it out but that could make a delay.

I think that you should push for something suitable from the OT's and contact Mnda connect if you get messed around. Because it's a essential piece of equipment, I don't think that you should have to contribute towards it.

These are only my opinions because I don't have first hand knowledge of either.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Jo, welcome to our forums. I'm sorry that I don't have any knowledge of your request but I just wanted to wish you good luck for getting your husbands OT to sort out what's needed quickly. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Jo,

I would second what Terry has said about contacting the OT and MND Connect. It doesn't sound right that you and Darron have to pay for it.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies we have a new OT from CHC side and the temporary OT from social services visiting on Thursday. Just needed some advice before this so I'm prepared for them both. Let's hope it gets moving using the hoist is painful for both myself and Darron he's a big 6ft 2 guy and I'm only 5ft and I do struggle with it.

Forum Member
    Hi

My husband has CHC funding. This pays for a package of care, sitting service and if he needs it a nursing home. It doesn't fund equipment etc which an OT or physio would have to sort out. Have you got an MND coordinator - they can help support you with this type of thing? It sounds like you have got a voyager hoist, which is normally able to be operated by one person and not sure what the next step up is. Are you eligible for a package of care from social services - have you been assessed? Or would you be self funding? If you get CHC funding carers will be able to wash and dress your husband etc. I am fine to give you some extra advice - you can message me. hope everything works out