Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on accessible cars please

Forum Member
    I am so pleased you found a car that you like at the NEC Lynne. It sounds wonderful.

I am not eligible for the mobility scheme but have managed to find an ex-mobility vehicle. It's a three year old Citroen Berlingo and is being delivered next week. I have travelled in the local Community Cab Berlingo so know it is a decent ride. It has a very low mileage and wonder why the previous owner used it so little.

Thank you to everyone who offered me advice. I found the whole process a bit scary having never bought a second-hand car by myself before. I am now looking forward to going shopping with my daughter without the stress and worrying about getting in and out the car. I can also regain some independence using my electric wheelchair when we are out.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy being able to get out and about more easily.

Have fun!
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Ann, where can you put your wheelchair in the Berlingo? Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

I'm chuffed you found the right WAV for you Ann and hope you've many happy days out with your daughter.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Hi all. We went to the Motability Show at the NEC, Birmingham today to look at WAVs. We cannot afford a 'Sit Up Front WAV.' They have a ridiculous up-front price. But we found a lovely new Peugeot Rifter Horizon WAV omwith Allied. It has a ramp at the back and you can have a hoist to help get your powered wheelchair up the ramp. The wheelchair can be positioned either behind the front passenger seat or in the middle of that row. I think that I'll chose the middle so I don't have the front passenger head restraint blocking my view. Also, my husband (the driver) will be closer to me in that position so that we can chat more easily. The up-front cost for a manual is approx £1680 (my memory dependant). It's £500 more for an auto and that's what my husband wants. Peugeot aren't manufacturing the auto drive yet
    We were told January.

I spoke with a Motability advisor about changing my car early. He told me to ring the Motability line and explain to them what I had told him and they wont charge me for changing early and they'll give me a partial refund of my up-front costs on the car I have now. That ought be about £450 in January so I can afford this lovely new WAV. I can hire it for 5 years he said. Lynne
    Lynne if you go for the automatic make sure it's a full automatic engine not an adapted one. That isn't a very good description but you get the hang of it.
    Our Peugeot WAV from Allied is the adapted engine and its HORRIBLE. It has a very disconcerting judder along with other things.
    We wish we'd just got the manuel.

Oops meant manual. Had a Basil moment there!

Well done with the car Ann. It will make things so much easier.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne
    There are four seats in my particular car. Some have only three. I drive in and sit behind and between the two rear seats. I have two grandchildren so they can travel in the back with me. My daughter will be driving it during the week with the children.
    The Berlingo seems to be a popular accessible car but time will tell. I haven't owned a dieselcar before and they do seem a bit noisy.
    I would have loved a brand-new car but this is a three year-old ex-mobility car with a very low mileage, a full service history and the garage has give a years National Guarantee. I am hoping it will extend my time being able to get out and about and be less of a strain on my family when I do go out, We are planng a trip to Kingston next weekend and I will be able to look around the shops without being pushed which will be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man's wife View Post
    Lynne if you go for the automatic make sure it's a full automatic engine not an adapted one. That isn't a very good description but you get the hang of it.
    Our Peugeot WAV from Allied is the adapted engine and its HORRIBLE. It has a very disconcerting judder along with other things.
    We wish we'd just got the manuel.
    Ah! the amazing Peugeot/ Citroen semi-automatic. I have that transmission in my Peugeot Horizon. Scary isnít it? I have to have an automatic though since I no longer have any control of my feet so have hand controls fitted. Pulling out onto a roundabout is quite scary especially at busy times.
    Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Hi Anne. I'm glad that you've found a WAV. Where do you site the wheelchair in a Berlingo and is the regular front passenger seat comfy. Also what's the step into the front like, high like Peugeot or low like Fords? Many thanks, Lynne

Thanks MMs Wife. I'm not getting the Peugeot after all, as I said in a post a few minutes ago. I'm still looking. Lynne