Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powered wheelchairs

Hi Kd;

You should be supplied with a chair free if you require one so ask again.

You do meet a lot nicer people that try to help you. I have to use a talking machine and that to fascinates people, especially the younger ones.

Doug, most wheelchairs feel unsafe on side slopes and are not good on uneven ground.

I have a four wheel one that can go over uneven solid ground but I have to go very slowly because of the ride.

The six wheel ones look to be possibly better for general use.

Love Terry

Thanks Kd1.

I hear what you say about the social effects of a power chair. Hadn't really thought about it.

Thanks Terry - for the advice on slopes. I'd need to be careful. My garden slopes.

Doug

The Salsa Mini looks fab in it's turning circle. I have got a Spectra XTR2. It's not easy manoeuvring indoors. I've scraped several things and took a little piece out of the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers.

When I discussed my needs with Wheelchair Services I stressed my desire to go on walking trails with my husband. Since my passion, when I was fit, was hill walking, I wanted to still be able to go out into the countryside, on suitable paths/tracks of course. So the one I was given ought to be the most suitable for that. It has hard arms and two separate foot rests, similar to those on manual chairs. I've now got the back option that 'tilts in space.' They gave me a fixed back first of all that you needed tools to alter. I have only been out of our front door once with it. I drove down my newly widened and lowered ramp (originally it was too high causing a step down into our flat and too narrow so that I couldn't get out with my powered wheelchair and my husband stuggled to get me out in the manual wheelchair. He frequently lifted it and turned it at the same time). I went around to our small back garden. By the way, this is the only way that I can get to our garden since there is a two stage high step from our kitchen. It doesn't go out onto to the garden anyway. It faces the side road. A strange way to build a home. We're thinking of getting a patio window with a flat threshold put into our bedroom. Then with a bit of furniture and radiator moved I'd be able to go straight out to our garden. We'd have to get the councils permission to do this. That's on a back burner at the moment.

Getting back to the subject of my powered wheelchair. I have my outside wheelchair test in approximately 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to some freedom.

I must also do something about changing my motability car to a WAV. That'll be expensive both because I've only had the car about a year so there will be charges (250) and the loss of a good condition bonus. Then there's an up front cost to consider. We're going to the Motability Show at Birmingham NEC this Friday, all being well. So I hope to form an idea of what to get. I may be able to get the ball rolling. I've asked my husband to measure my overall height when sitting in my chair. I'll take this with us.

Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 26th June 2019 at 22:18.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Many thanks Lynne.

I've had a look at the Spectra XTR2 on the Invercare site and it seems to dismantle quite well - the seat from the chassis. In the end, I'll probably have very limited choice of the make and model that is offered, but I will press for an MND neuro version.

When you say outside wheelchair test, do you mean with your Spectra XTR2 and does one have to take a driving test for power chairs?

Unfortunately, cars aren't something I need to think about. I'm my only driver, so when I can't drive I'll be reliant on taxis.

Thanks again!

Doug

Hi Doug,

I had my outside driving test soon after my Salsa was delivered. It was done in the chair and was so that the Wheelchair Team could check (1) my road awareness and (2) my driving ability in the chair. It took probably only 15 minutes.

Oh, and by the way, I had to have had an eye test within the last six months. There was a form for the optician to complete confirming the test. If I hadn't had an eye test I would have had to go and have one.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Many, many thanks Dina

I'm extremely grateful for the heads up about the eye test. It would not have occurred to me one was necessary. My eyes are fine and change little now from year to year. But a test is overdue because I put it in the not important pile!

I'll make an appointment.

Thanks again!

Doug

I think that's just hilarious that you've to do a driving test in a powerchair but possibly sensible too. Kind of doesn't make sense if you can buy a powerchair and head off into the sunset though without the same restrictions though.

Anyhow, here Specsavers do eye tests in the home, which is really handy, so maybe they also do them in the UK?

Doug, whichever chair you get, make sure it's the agreed MND Neurochair Spec (as Helen also stressed) as it is a tailored and better spec than the standard Salsa Mini or XTR2.

I've an XTR2 and find it handles the rougher ground pretty well - I wouldn't go climbing mountains in it but forest trails are fine!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thank you Dina and Lynne, for kindly sharing information about what might be required of us if we accept a powerchair from wheelchair services.

I am wondering what happens if someone fails the driving test and/or doesn't want to be dictated to about when they should have an eye test. Do they confiscate the chair unless you promise not to use it outside/on the road and, if so, how would any restrictions be enforced - perhaps there is some sort of tracker on the chair so that wheelchair services can monitor exactly where it is being used? LOL.

Perhaps not all local wheelchair services require tests to be taken - as I think each local service is a seperate entity and is allowed to set it's own rules?

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 27th June 2019 at 17:34.

Hi Kayleigh. You might be right about different rules in different areas. Our wheelchair service is more particular about vision than when people go for a driving test. They only have to read a licence plate number and letters out at the regulation distance. Our service send out a letter that has to be signed by the person who did your eye test. I gave them such a letter 18 months ago but they want another. I took it to Specsavers and pick it up sith my new glasses next Wednesday. If you were ro fail their outside wheelchair test I'd guess that they'd give you advice and re-test soon after and keep doing that until you get it. I don't expect any issues, since I was a Driving Instructor up to last year. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Chimp,

I am afraid that people buying a wheelchair or a eight mph scooter do not have any tests.

Only if you get a free chair from the wheelchair services do you need to take a test to use it out in public places.

Love Terry