Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: update...

Quote Originally Posted by nunhead_man View Post

The minimum internal lift Dimension required is 790mm wide, 1120mm long.

Does anyone know if this is right for a powered wheelchair?
    Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will reply but to me...

The 790mm width is > enough Andy but the 1120mm length seems a bith tight to me. My XTR2 chair is 1160mm without me in it and the front of my feet protruding over the footrests adds to that. And the chair is longer if in tilt to any degree.

I see the Salsa Mini is 1100mm but add in your feet and any tilt and you'd probably exceed 1160mm?

Umm, no, not one of those, cool looking though it is

Head trackers are generally a lot less precise than eye trackers = much frustration and the trackers must be compatible with software which replicates a mouse, that one isn't. The Tobii has native Windows 10 eye control but also works with a few free open source programs.

Some of the reviews suggest you need to be quite close to the screen for this to work at the moment as I stand at my computer, I am probably close enough I guess - what distance are you from your screen Ellie?
    Usually I'm about 60cm away but sometimes about 75cm and it works perfectly. Proper calibration is very important to ensure precision.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will reply but to me...

The 790mm width is > enough Andy but the 1120mm length seems a bith tight to me. My XTR2 chair is 1160mm without me in it and the front of my feet protruding over the footrests adds to that. And the chair is longer if in tilt to any degree..
    And thanks yet again - and - so 790 mm is wide enough, but 1120 mm is too short.

So you are saying if the chair is tilted or you have long legs, which of course is no problem your sitting in the lift platform, say on the 1st floor, but the hole in the floor is only the size of this platform, so if your legs overhang the edge no go!

Warmly
    Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Yep, I think 1120mm is too short.

The lifts have half-doors so it wouldn't close, hence I think you'd need to allow for a long based lift, for a powerchair, rather than the standard length for a standard chair.

If you look at the length of a particular chair, bear in mind the length is measured from the footrest to the rear wheel or back of the backrest whilst it's in an upright position and your own comfortable sitting position is likely to have some degree of recline, especially if progression occurs - an extra few mm there and a headrest may also add a few mm, depending on its bulk and/or bracket.

I'd suggest contacting a couple of companies and having a preliminary chat about measurements. Wessex Lifts & Terry Lifts have been used by Forum members in the past, I know nothing about either. I'd hate you to discover too late that the door didn't close on your expensive purchase!!

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 2nd July 2019 at 11:03.

Good morning

Okay – excitement over.

The house we were looking would require me to run a substantial building project to get it into shape.

Also, I may be two or three years away from needing a hoist to get me out of bed, et cetera so I do not really want to live with that stuff for that length of time.

But looking at it has got me sorted out in my head as to the precise house layout, that I need at my stage of my development of the disease - and this layout might help others in a similar situation?

We want to buy a house that is already the right shape for me to live with if I have to move into a wheelchair

* level ground floor access or easy to ramp
    * corridor widths 1.2m
    * rooms with 1500 cm turning circle for wheelchair
    * ability to widen door widths to 900cm if needed

so that "all" we have to do when needful is convert the garage or build an extension to make a wet room and move my sleeping quarters from the first floor to a ground floor reception room.

The house also needs another reception room for use as a living room plus kitchen that is big enough to swing a cat - or a motorised wheelchair.

A small garden and location within a community - e.g. no more than five minutes walk to the nearest shop with local doctor, dentist, vet, railway station, are also on our agenda.

So wish us luck winning a big prize in the lottery!

Or finding some way of moving to Sheffield or a.n other!!

Joking apart there are houses around the corner from us that might suit but we would need 100,000 to 150,000 more than we have to buy one.

Warmly
    Last edited by nunhead_man; 5th July 2019 at 08:50.
    Andy

Good luck with your house hunting Andy. Very good planning strategy. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Very good planning strategy. Lynne
    Thank you - planning is my stock in trade from my working life, so I tend to run private projects like this one alongside the projects we run for our clients.

And strangely those are also often things where you just need to add money which of course is why I became a professional fundraiser!

Last date to vote for me as an MND trustee I think?

Warmly
    Andy

Hi Andy,

Good luck with finding a suitable property.

While reading your post, I was reminded of the TV programme 'Location Location Location' ..... just a thought ... perhaps Kirsty and Phil could help you with your property search??? ... and I expect all your forum fans would love to see you appear on TV!

... and I hope you get voted in as a Trustee!

Best wishes.

Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 5th July 2019 at 17:39.

I voted for you, hopefully you were the Andrew option!
    Will ask hubby to do the same.

Hi Kayleigh

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    While reading your post, I was reminded of the TV programme 'Location Location Location' ..... just a thought ... perhaps Kirsty and Phil could help you with your property search??? ... and I expect all your forum fans would love to see you appear on TV!
    What an interesting idea - I will try and find out who their agents are!

Actually it was this bloke that got me thinking about a project with his programme DIY SOS - https://www.nickknowles.com

I am just raising some money for it - the project, I mean, not Nick Knowles!

But somebody said he parted company with the MNDA?

Warmly
    Andy

I am just beginning to experiment with eye gaze and have the experts coming around later in July to show me properly how to set it up
    May I ask Andy if you got/are getting a Tobii 4C? Or a different one?

And "the experts" - are they AAT, techie mates or paid IT pros?

Love Ellie.