Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A friendly warning!

Forum Member

A friendly warning!

Hi everyone

Since I fell 3 weeks ago I have been in pain and felt generally unwell. Doctors and the paramedics felt it was ligament damage and I felt unwell because of the pain and MND . On Friday I woke up and coughed up blood so to A and E where I was fortunately fast tracked by my GP.

A CT scan showed blood clots on my lungs and an X ray showed my leg was broken in two places. There was also some underlying infection . I went between two hospitals and everyone was so helpful but they were cross I had not been given blood thinners earlier.They cant set my leg until my wheelchair has been adapted to have my leg straight.

Just glad to be home now but I wish I had been more assertive and gone to hospital sooner.
    I guess it's really important not to attribute symptoms of ill health to our MND. I was feeling breathless, due to the blood clot but I thought it was the MND developing.

Take care everyone and no more falls,
    Love Debbie x

Oh my days Debbie, you must have been in a lot of pain

Yes indeed, a good message for us all - don't put all our ailments down to our MND...

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your wheelchair adaptation happens ASAP.

Sending you a big hug.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Debbie,

My goodness, what a good job they discovered what was happening throughout your body. It's understandable why you attributed the breathlessness to the MND but it shows how important it is to check. I hope your wheelchair gets adapted soon so that your leg can be set.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

HI Debbie,

Sorry to hear you have been through such a tough time. It must be good to be back home with your family and all your home comforts. I hope you feel much better very soon.

Love Kayleigh xx

P.S I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were getting on - I remembered you are a tennis fan while I was watching "John McEnroe: still rockin at 60" on BBC1 this afternoon. Worth a watch if you havn't seen it yet - especially, if like me, you are a fan of the tennis era when John McEnroe, Bijorn Borg and Jimmy Connors were the champions at Wimbledon!

Hi Debbie,

I’m sorry to hear that your health has worsened following your fall but I hope the medics can ease your pain. Who would have thought that you need an adapted wheelchair to support a leg cast. I trust they see you as a priority and sort it quickly. Of course you realise that you will need a bigger turning circle with your leg stuck out so beware of bumping it.
    I thought it was only men who are reluctant to go to hospital but maybe it is living with MND that makes us all stoical.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Debbie, oh so sorry to hear about your accident. You have been through the wars.
    I hope everything gets sorted out for you. And you make a speedy recovery.
    Sending hugs
    Sheila x

Hi Debbie...you must have been in agony. Hope your leg heals quickly. Thanks for the warning actually-my husband is getting booked in at the dr tomorrow-couple of things we need to check out.

Xxxx

Hi Debbie,

I am more likely not to go to doctors or hospital with things because of the extra strain it puts on my wife.

Like others, I remember you falling but wrongly assumed you had recovered.

Look after yourself, essentially the lungs.

What bones have you broken in your leg?

I do hope you quickly recover.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Just waiting for a leg support delivering for my powerchair before I have my leg set, otherwise i would be in a hospital manual chair, or have to stay in hospital ! On lots of meds to get the blood clots under control and they're monitoring it carefully.

Barry's comment about being careful about needing a wider turning circle really made me smile. I have visions of spinning around in my chair with my leg in the air. Oh the Joys!

Love Debbie x

Ooh, Debbie, you could use your supported leg as a jousting pole, or as a circular saw (if you spin at top speed!).
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.