Thread: Stair lifts

Forum Member

Stair lifts

Good evening. I wanted to tap into the “knowledge centre” regarding stair lifts. We are thinking ahead to when I may have limited or no mobility in my legs. We have been looking on moving house as we presently live in a small terraced house and were trying to identify a property which has space for a downstairs wet room. This is proving to substantially limit our choice and was wondering what your thoughts were on a stair lift as an alternative to building/installing a wet room on the ground floor. I realise that we would need to double up on some equipment, one downstairs and one upstairs but is there other disadvantages we should take into consideration.

Thank you very much in advance 😁

Hi T,

There is some fairly recent advice about stairlifts on the following thread (apologies if you have seen it already):-

http://http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?9046-Stair-lift&highlight=Stair+lift

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 7th July 2019 at 21:32.

Hi TPS,

I was diagnosed in November 2018 and arranged to have a stairlift fitted whilst I was still an inpatient. I lost the ability to walk before I was discharged home but was able to use the stairlift. However, due to the rate of my deterioration, I was only able to use the stairlift for about 6-8 weeks as I was no longer able to transfer.

It is hard to know how useful a stairlift might be because each individual's MND journey is different. I decided before mine was fitted that I didn't care if I could only use it for a month - as far as I was concerned, I wanted to be able to get upstairs as long as possible.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi TPS,

As Dina says, everyones journey is different and it will probably be OK for a while. A lot might depends on whether you have pay for it. If you have a a really handy man, then there might be some for free, just pm me.

Obviously a bungalow with a wet room and wide doors etc would be ideal and would most likely be easier in the long term.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hi T,

There is some fairly recent advice about stairlifts on the following thread (apologies if you have seen it already):-

http://http://forum.mndassociation.org/showthread.php?9046-Stair-lift&highlight=Stair+lift

Best wishes
    Kayleigh
    Whoops, should of carried out a search on the forum like I did on the web site.
    Sorry and thank you very much 😁

Forum Member
    Thank you. I should have carried our a search on the forum like I did on the web site. Sorry and once again thanks.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice
    It is much appreciated.

Hi T,

Please don't feel like you need to apologise.

I just happened to remember reading that thread because Ellie, Ann and Tony left such detailed and helpful posts on it. I promise it was no trouble to provide you with the link - and so absolutely no need for you to apologise for not finding it yourself.

Love and best wishes
    Kayleigh

Forum Member
    i bought one from a firm called "stairlift express". it was reconditioned cost £ 1400. I only used it for a year but it was worth its weight in gold. I sold it back to them for £300. so £1100 for 12 months relief.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    i bought one from a firm called "stairlift express". it was reconditioned cost £ 1400. I only used it for a year but it was worth its weight in gold. I sold it back to them for £300. so £1100 for 12 months relief.
    Thanks for the tip 😁