X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynne K
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2017

Hi Barry. I only just saw your message about your fall. Breaking 2 vertebrae must be extremely painful. I hope that you heal quickly. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Kayleigh
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2018

I hope you are feeling a bit better today Barry. Hopefully the painkillers are helping to make you feel comfortable.

Love and best wishes to you and your wife,

Kayleigh x

Comment

• Barry52
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2012

Thank you all for the kind words of support and encouragement. I am starting to get cabin fever and if the weather holds then I will sit in the garden. Running out of happy juice (morphine) but I don’t want to depend on it so I will revert to codine.

Love to everyone.
        Barry
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Kayleigh
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2018

Hi Barry,

Sounds like a good plan to sit out in the garden tomorrow or another day, if you can. It's such a lovely time of year with many flowers in full bloom. I was sitting out in my garden today and the flowers were attracting a lot of butterflies - there were lots of small white butterflies and also a few colourful ones too (I think they were Admiral butterflies).

Thanks for letting us know how you are getting on. Many of us are thinking of you and hope you will be feeling much better very soon.

Love Kayleigh x
          Last edited by Kayleigh; 16 July 2019, 20:41.

Comment

• Sheila
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2019

Sorry to hear about your fall Barry, I hope you feel much better soon.
            Sending best wishes
            Sheila x

Comment

• Terry
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

Hi Barry,

Hope you are up and running around but I guess not. You probably don't want to hear this as well but please make sure you're not Constipated at all mainly because of the pain medication.

Guess that you fell backwards onto something.

I know you don't like to talk about your problems but we do like to know.

Best wishes, Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2018

Thankfully, we can usually rely on you or Ellie to warn us about the dreaded 'Constipation' TC! - and it's always very kind of you both to flag it up as an issue to be aware of, just in case we don't know about it.

It's not good if we suffer from constipation and I didn't know that it was a possible side effect of painkillers until I read about it on the forum.I suppose I should always read the patient information leaflet that comes with all medication, but .. does everyone really always read all that smallprint? ...... and you'd have to pass me the magnifying glass first LOL - and as liquid refreshment while I am reading it, I expect glass of prune juice wouldn't be a bad idea!

I hope you are taking things easy Barry and cabin fever isn't getting to you too much! If you havn't been able to get out into your garden yet, hopefully you will be able to soon. Dreary weather at the moment and so no sign of butterflies in my garden today - I was pleased to get a visit from a woodpecker though! .... whenever I see a woodpecker it always reminds me of Professor Yaffle - you and TC might be too young to remember that childhood TV favourite 'Bagpuss' from way back, or perhaps you were too old to watch it LOL! - and/or, most likely, you didn't have 'square eyes' like I did! LOL.

A couple of my favourite Bagpuss memories (and, of course, featuring the most distinguished woodpecker on TV --Professor Yaffle! )....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaKSzqT0DU

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=045Hxh7IfCU

..... all part of my happy childhood memories of watching well-loved TV classics like Andy Pandy, The Magic Roundabout and Camberwick Green - but If you were to ask if I remember 'Muffin the Mule', then that would definitely be way before my time!

Love to everyone,
                Kayleigh xx
                Last edited by Kayleigh; 19 July 2019, 22:13.

Comment

• Lynne K
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2017

Kayleigh, you reminded me of the hundreds of times that I read Bagus to my children and did so off the top of my head for my grandchildren. 'Bagpuss dear Baguss, oh fat furry cat puss wake up and see the thing that we bring. I could go on, from memory but I'll spare you all.

About painkiller side effects and instructions. I read every word of the instructions that come with any and all medications. Codeine causes me constipation but Tramadol, a similar opiate does not. Lynne
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Barry52
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2012

Thanks everyone for checking in on me.

Yes the dreaded C has been troublesome and they gave me laxatives but I am reluctant to take them in case it has the opposite effect. I have increased my daily dosage of coconut oil and this seems to be working. I hope nobody is having breakfast.

Kayleigh,

I remember watching Bagpuss with my daughter and when I was a child we only had 3 channels in black and white.

Love,
                    Barry
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Good to hear the coconut oil is working well, Barry.

Keep up the recovery!

Love Ellie.
                      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
                      X