• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gillette
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

Hi Lynne,

I really feel for you, living where you do. That hill is no joke.

We have to put a lot of faith in our wheelchairs when attacking dropped/not dropped enough kerbs.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Lynne K
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2017

Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Gillette
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
        Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne
        Are there any shops up there, Lynne? At first sight, that end of the town doesn't seem to be a good area for disabled people to live.
        Dina

Comment

• Deb
          Forum Member
          • May 2018

Thanks for the advice about the 4 inch rule on kerbs,

I went back to the manual as I was worried it was 4 centimetres and I had misheard but apparently it will do 4 inches although i am not sure i would want to do it. I know some drop downs are easier than others and they did say it would be hard to tip up. ( hard but not impossible.. I am sure someone could manage it !)

Good luck and stay safe everyone.
          Love Debbie x

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

Hi Dina, the local shops that I passed when I was sitting as a passenger in my car had steps at the front. Not at all wheelchair friendly. I'm keeping my eyes open in case I've missed any. The nearest shop that I'm sure is wheelchair friendly is Asda and that's a mile away. My wheelchair is supposed to be able to do 8 miles on a full charge so from that point it's doable but no surprise there's not dropped kerbs all of the way. I put the suggestion to Steve for me to attempt it one day soon with him for company and a second pair of eyes.

I got my extra appointment for kerbs practice from wheelchair services. Wendy Donkersley is coming out again on the afternoon of 6th August. I feel a bit of trepidation about what I'll have to do. More non dropped kerbs forwards and backwards, scary but the best person to do this with.
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

It does take practice to build up your confidence Lynne, you'll get there in the end.

I think it's a good idea that Steve goes with you on your recce to Asda, better safe than sorry.

Onward and upwards!

Love Ellie.
              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Lynne K
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2017

Thanks Ellie, you're spot on. Lynne

Comment

• Gillette
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2019

I got my extra appointment for kerbs practice from wheelchair services. Wendy Donkersley is coming out again on the afternoon of 6th August. I feel a bit of trepidation about what I'll have to do. More non dropped kerbs forwards and backwards, scary but the best person to do this with.
                  Hi Lynne,

Steps to access shops is another example of why your area is not great for wheelchair users.

I think I shall give Wendy a ring after I've been in Wythenshawe, to ask if she'll do something similar for me. I have to ring the wheelchair team, anyway, as they need to do some adaptations to my Salsa Mini. Because of my loss of core strength I keep slumping to the right - and that's without a single drink passing my lips!
                  Dina

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

My Citroën Berlingo 1.6 Auto Black Diesel came this morning, yippie. My husband has taken it to get my car cameras put in it. I bought them when I was a Driving Instructor. I put them in the C-Max when I got that. I got them taken out of it last week, so they held them to install in my Berlingo this afternoon. They had cost me an arm and a leg so I'm going to get as much use as possible out of them.

I haven't tried to drive it yet. My negative husband has tried again to put me off. I'd be incapacitated earlier than necessary if I took any notice to him. I know that he cares but he's a glass half empty person and I'm a glass, half full, fighting every step of the way on this journey. If I have to wait on him taking me out I'd become stir crazy. He didn't even sound happy about me going out alone in my powered wheelchair.

I'm not just fighting this disease. I feel that I'm having to be strong resisting his potentially limiting negativity. Once he sees for himself that I'm ok in my powered wheelchair and driving he'll chill about it. So I've got the equivalent of a driving test and another wheelchair test with him coming up soon. I'll have to take it on the chin, go through the motions for a quiet, harmonious life.

Aren't relationships challenging sometimes?

Now that I've written this I've chilled and can see the funny side. Lynne
                    Last edited by Lynne K; 30 July 2019, 14:38.

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Aren't relationships challenging sometimes?
                      Yes indeedy Lynne, they certainly are...

Hope you manage to get out for a drive real soon, then S can see you're well able and hopefully relax a bit.

You did right to reuse those cameras too - they're so useful and will add to your confidence.

Wishing you many happy independent trips out, even if it's just to Asda

Take care.

Love Ellie.
                      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Lynne K
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks Ellie x

Comment

• Barry52
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2012

[QUOTE=Lynne K;91337]

Aren't relationships challenging sometimes.

Amen to that statement Lynne. There is nothing wrong with us trying to maintain some independence but I guess our nearest and dearest are trying to keep us safe. I hope you enjoy your new car and as a former driving instructor I’m sure you will get used to it quickly. My best friend is a glass half empty chap and when I’ve been in his company for a while I get depressed.

Our granddaughter is 17 in November and I promised her some driving lessons. What I hadn’t realised was how expensive they are but since it is 50 years since I took them I’m clearly out of touch. Maybe birthday and Christmas combined.

Love,
                          Barry x
                          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Deb
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2018

That's Great News Lynne... Go girl ! There will be no stopping you.

I think our loved ones are very protective of us. Sometimes it's hard to accept when we have been used to being independent and strong. On a good day my husband and I can laugh at this ( not on a bad day , however !)

Happy motoring,
                            Love Debbiex

Comment

• Lynne K
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2017

Good luck for your daughters driving lessons Barry. LDC (Learner Driving Centres) are great. That's who I started learning to be a driving instructor with. I didn't stay with them after about a year but I kept in touch with them because they were all very nice. They have bargains for the first few lessons. It used to be 5 lessons for £60, or 10 for £99 with a free workbook, worth £14.95 (excellent learning aid and used in lessons).

I just fell badly in our wet-room. Rang hubby who was out while on the floor. I was still trying to get up 20 minutes later when he came in. It took another 20 minutes to work out how to get up, like we had done last time that I fell. I did most, but Steve pulled as I stood to make it as easy as he could. Team work. I have a big lump on the left side of my head near the back, where it crashed on to the floor. Also a very sore left elbow. That was the worst fall that I've ever had. My ballance has been getting much worse lately. I was using my 3 wheeled walker at that moment. I prefer my 4 wheeled walker but it's too big to get into our kitchen and between my powered wheelchair and a chair in our front room. Lynne

Comment

• Lynne K
                                Forum Member
                                • Nov 2017

Thanks Debbie. Looking forward to going out. Lynne

Comment

Working...
                                X