Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Good news

Hi Lynne,

I hope you're curb hoping goes well, maybe you can pop down and teach me.

Maybe you can add some weight like a gallon of water or two, two litre ones.

Six weeks is no good.

My grandad feels a very little bit better, fingers crossed.

Love Terry

Hi Kayleigh. I sent links to an online care shop, and to the same or very similar one on Amazon that was a few pounds cheaper. I doubt that it's where they get them from that causes delays. It's the admin department backlogs. Anything to do with the our Local Authority takes longer than you'd expect. The Services Department are no exception. But sometimes they surprise me. I've been waiting for a seat riser for our loo for about 4 weeks so far. Local Authority wheels turn slowly. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 6th August 2019 at 17:14.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

I think you should chase up the seat riser for the toilet. Mine were delivered very quickly.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Lynne,

If the outdoor wheelchair practice went ahead today, I hope it went well for you.

Love Kayleigh x

Hi Kayleigh and Terry. The kerb practise was great thanks. I did some up and down 3 or 4 inch kerbs, with helpful coaching especially when going backwards down. I then went up and backwards down similar kerbs independently. It did my confidence loads of good. The wheelchair services ladies were very happy with my control, spacial awareness and traffic awareness. It's only the first of those 3 things that I was working on. The others are already well established. I'm going to venture to our nearest wheelchair friendly shop which is Asda soon. I'll get my husband to walk alongside the first time. But if all goes well that's going to be a regular venture out for me. It's just under a mile away.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne,

Great news with your wheelchair. Of course as a driving instructor you will have no issue with spacial or traffic awareness. Make sure you get your husband to reach the difficult items.

Barry x.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Thanks Barry

That's great Lynne - well done! Its wonderful that you can tackle all those kerbs confidently.

I only use low dropdowns rather than attempting kerbs - but I am impressed that you have the ability to go backwards down kerbs.

I hope you enjoy getting out and about in your powerchair and you enjoy your retail therapy in Asda.

Love
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 7th August 2019 at 10:27.

Kayleigh, you have to go backwards down a 2, 3 or 4 inch kerb. The big back wheels do the job safely so long as you are perfectly square on to the kerb and go as slow as you can, just about moving. Forwards only for dropped kerbs and lots of those are about 1inch. I was warned, and pass on to all to never attempt a dropped kerb that is not made correctly or is faulty ie one side higher than the other else we could tip over. It'd be better to find the next, go back to the previous or come off a nearby straight kerb backwards (never a curved one up or down) so long as it's 4 inches or less. Good luck everyone. Lynne

Thanks Lynne. Your advice is very useful. Love Kayleigh x