Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the book tip.. I have downloaded it because I was looking for some different reading.

My salsa mini is supposed to do up to 4 inch kerbs or drops. It doesn't tip but it feels like it's going to and backing out of the car down the ramp still feels a little scary too. I am getting used to it, however

Go carefully,
    Love Debbie x

Hi Debbie,

Beware of the 4 inch rule. Firstly you must be fully squared up at the kerb to avoid tipping and even then the wheelchair/scooter can ground. I know it’s not easy but always look for a dropped kerb.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Lynne, I wasn't offered any extra help to learn about going up or down kerbs. I think I'll give them a ring to see if the wheelchair team can do it for me, too. At the moment they are trying to find me a more comfortable cushion, as well as finding a way of supporting me so that I don't keep flopping to the right.

It can feel quite scary going up or down low kerbstones (about an inch or so) although I probably approach them too fast! I also find it challenging going along a pavement where there are lots of driveways. The slope of the pavement can be quite steep.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Dina. Good luck with wheelchair services meeting your needs. I learned when my WAV was brought for me to try that going down a rubbish dropped kerb, about an inch and a half, at the bottom of the slope between our front door and the road that very slowly does it. Coming back up it a bit of speed works. But I'm still tense about it.

The pavements near us are built on a hill. So slope one way because of that. Then the camber in the pavements to assist drainage slope left or right depending what side of the road you are. So it's best to stay up the highest part of the pavements. Tree roots have caused damage in all pavements, causing humps, cracks and loose surfaces. Also the road surface is loose, hence the wheels of my wheelchair skidded when trying to get up a 2 or 3 inch kerb. I only just managed it. I decided that where possible I'll avoid going off or on pavements where there isn't a dropped kerb on these hilly roads. The physics of it makes it risky. But I have to come up and down the dodgy dropped kerb by my house. There's a lovely flat one in front of our neighbours flat. I can use that when nobody's parked on it. But that's at least half the time. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

That's great to read Debbie. My wheelchair is supposed to go up and down up to 4 inches. It's scary enough doing half of that. It has anti tip things attached at the back but nothing would likely hinder a sideways tip if one wheel instead of two goes either up or down. I got the feeling of going over sideways when I did my wheelchair test. But sometimes we learn better when we make unintentional errors. So I've taken that concern on board. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne,

I really feel for you, living where you do. That hill is no joke.

We have to put a lot of faith in our wheelchairs when attacking dropped/not dropped enough kerbs.
    Dina

Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Yea, your right about the hills Dina. The council oughtn't put disabled people on hills. We were desperate to move because our previous house was full of stairs that I was having difficulty with. So we took it. Lynne
    Are there any shops up there, Lynne? At first sight, that end of the town doesn't seem to be a good area for disabled people to live.
    Dina

Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice about the 4 inch rule on kerbs,

I went back to the manual as I was worried it was 4 centimetres and I had misheard but apparently it will do 4 inches although i am not sure i would want to do it. I know some drop downs are easier than others and they did say it would be hard to tip up. ( hard but not impossible.. I am sure someone could manage it !)

Good luck and stay safe everyone.
    Love Debbie x

Hi Dina, the local shops that I passed when I was sitting as a passenger in my car had steps at the front. Not at all wheelchair friendly. I'm keeping my eyes open in case I've missed any. The nearest shop that I'm sure is wheelchair friendly is Asda and that's a mile away. My wheelchair is supposed to be able to do 8 miles on a full charge so from that point it's doable but no surprise there's not dropped kerbs all of the way. I put the suggestion to Steve for me to attempt it one day soon with him for company and a second pair of eyes.

I got my extra appointment for kerbs practice from wheelchair services. Wendy Donkersley is coming out again on the afternoon of 6th August. I feel a bit of trepidation about what I'll have to do. More non dropped kerbs forwards and backwards, scary but the best person to do this with.