• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sueb
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2014

Broken wrist

Four weeks ago, while going to put Steve into our WAV I fell and broke my left wrist. I had to have it operated on and have a plate put in.. it is mending well and I’m able to do a few more things. Unable to drive though so dependant on our daughter and son-in-law to drive when they can.

It has meant that we have had to have carers come in . Family have been helping especially grandson who lives with us. Took two weeks to get someone in, the day before my grandson went on holiday, but it has been stressful. They would turn up at 6’oclock to put him to bed! which we refused and took another week and the social worker to get it sorted to A later time. Steve can’t be in bed too early, as he is already taking pain meds to stay in bed because of pain from his neck and shoulders.

It’s stressful with all the different people coming in especially if you get two carers that haven’t been before and you have to explain everything over and over again. They are trying to give us regular ones but not always happening.

Our MND nurse and social worker are going down the CHC funding route. How long does this take and what is involved? At the moment we don’t know if we will have to pay towards carers but the social worker thinks we should qualify for the funding. Has anyone been down this route?

Sue
  • Kayleigh
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2018

Hi Sue,

The NHS guidelines about continuing healthcare (CHC) might be helpful (link provided below):-
    http://https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/money-work-and-benefits/nhs-continuing-healthcare/

If CHC (fully funded by the NHS) isn't awarded, then the local authority might provide some funding - (but unlike CHC, it is means tested) - further information is included in Which?'s 'Local Authority Funding for home care' guidelines (link provided below):-
    http://https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care/financing-care/home-care-finance/local-authority-funding-for-home-care-a116w2u6nbul

Sorry to hear about your fall and your wrist. I hope your wrist will be much better soon - and I hope you are getting enough time to rest and relax as well.

Love and best wishes to you and Steve,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 19 July 2019, 15:12.

Comment

• Broostine93
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2019

Hi Sue,

My Gran qualified for CHC- her OT sorted it all out, with the assistance of the social worker (we didn't even know about it before we received a letter saying it had been awarded).
      It should be fast-tracked due to the condition's unpredictability so it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. It's extremely handy to have when it comes to having carers several times a day (though the timing of the bedtimes and the calls in general seems to be something that all care companies struggle to get right- annoyingly so!) The repetition of explaining the condition over and over again is something we got really frustrated with too- so much so that my Gran decided to move into a nursing home (though I do hope that Steve won't feel the need to do this- there's something awfully 'final' about the decision, I feel).

I am sorry you've broken your wrist- it's horrible at the best of times and feels even worse when you have someone to look after, but remember to look after yourself, too!

Fingers crossed that everything works out for the best for you and Steve xx
      "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

Sue, I'm so sorry you broke your wrist whilst caring for Steve - it not only shows how precarious a carer's role is but also shows the impact on the person with MND when their primary carer is out of action.

The only silver lining is that CHC will be applied for and, hopefully, granted. The assessment should be based on Steve's worst days and all of his needs (rather than how he'd like to see himself)

There are specific 'Areas of need', CHC Domains, which are rated and scored, so to speak. CHC is granted or refused on these areas of need scores.

They are laid out clearly here: https://www.westhampshireccg.nhs.uk/...f-need-domains That site also have step-by-step videos on the application process. A decision is usually given within 28 days.

Here is the NHS England guide to CHC: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social...ng-healthcare/

A few members have been granted CHC recently, so I'm sure you'll get some 'real life stories'.

You shouldn't have to have random carers coming in for Steve's complex needs - we're not clients who just need a sandwich prepared and our hair brushed - and hopefully once a care plan is established, he'll get regular carers. I'd recommend a meeting with the care provider.

Best of luck.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear about your wrist and the impact it has on your and Steve's quality of life. I hope that it soon repairs and you both can get out.

CHC, is normally back dated once you have applied if its successful, so you then should get back the carer's costs from the date you applied.

As Ellie says, put his worst days down on the form or to the person and not what he can sometimes do.

Best wishes, Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2018

Hi again Sue,

'Which?' have got an online Care Services Directory which includes the facility to search for local home care agencies (it also includes CQC inspection ratings for each agency). If you click on the link below, it will take you to the Directory and 'home care' is the 4th option in the 'Choose Type of Care' dropdown.

You might not ever need to change to a different agency - but thought I would let you know about the online Directory, just in case you find it useful.

I hope everything goes smoothly with Steve's continuing healthcare application.

Love Kayleigh x

Comment

• Sueb
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2014

Thanks everyone I will go through the links later when I can sit and read it properly. The social worker says there shouldn’t be any worries about getting it but Steve is worried about possible bills coming in..

Steve is doing an extra day at the hospice till my wrist is better so that has been a help. It is improving a lot. Back to the hospital at the end of the month to see what the physio says but the exercises are getting easier every day. Hopefully will be able to drive next month then we can get out more. Thank goodness for online shopping!!!

Sue

Sue

Comment

• Lynne K
                Forum Member
                • Nov 2017

Hi Sue. I hope that your wrist heals quickly. Good luck with the CHC application. Love Lynne x
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Music man's wife
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2019

Hello there Sue, sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope you're on the mend.
                  My hubby got CHC in January. The district nurses applied on our behalf with advice from our MND nurse.
                  It was for us a very simple process. The DN went through the criteria sent off the application then a representative from CHC came round and agreed what they would pay.
                  There was no formal assessment. Hubby qualified due to total lack of mobility and the need for ventilation.
                  The whole process was amazingly stress free. Not like PIP, that's a whole other story!
                  Hope all goes well.

Comment

• Barry52
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2012

Hi Sue,

I am sorry to hear that you have broken your wrist and I hope you recover soon. Please give Steve my best wishes and I hope to see you both soon at our meetings. Please let me know if there is anything I can do in a practical way even if this is just to call in and see you both.

I am myself looking at occasional care support and I was given an excellent website which is part of the Nottingham Council www.nottshelpyourself.org.uk

The services offered range from care, gardening, handymen and therapy and every service is vetted.

Best wishes,
                    Barry x
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Working...
                    X