Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventilation

I thought as much Dina

Can I ask how much of what you're getting and do they push it in with syringe plunger or is it gravity flow?

Love Ellie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    I thought as much Dina

Can I ask how much of what you're getting and do they push it in with syringe plunger or is it gravity flow?

Love Ellie.
    I've been having 200ml of water, morning and evening, together with a Fortisip with fibre in the morning and a Fortisip 2cal in the evening using a syringe plunger.

We are tweaking the regimen, both quantities and times.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    Hi Dina,

Been thinking about you and hope you're feeling more comfortable soon. I also hope you're being well looked after in hospital.

Love Debbie x

And maybe go a lot slower with the Fortisips too - if you don't need to be tube fed right away, you've the luxury of taking time to get used to new food. I agree that 200ml water at the same time is a bit much.

It's not unusual for the stomach to dislike feed pushed directly into it, bypassing the normal oesophageal route where saliva starts the digestive process, which you're missing out on. (Keep an eye on the bowels too )

After my PEG procedure, in hospital I started off being given 25mls of Fortisip at a time and gradually building up to a whole bottle - woohoo! Then, after a week, the dietitian and I decided to switch to using a pump to deliver my feeds and, again after starting off slowly, that's what I use everyday.

You'll get there Dina, it does take a few days though.

Good luck,

Love Ellie.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Hi Dina,

Been thinking about you and hope you're feeling more comfortable soon. I also hope you're being well looked after in hospital.

Love Debbie x
    Hi Debbie,

Thank you. I'm doing ok thanks and the team on the ward are great.
    Dina

Thanks for the tips, Ellie.

The water has been reduced to 100ml at a time. As for the Fortisips, I have lost more weight than they'd like, since I came in, not helped by having pretty much gone off food and drink completely so, as I say, we are tweaking all over the place.
    Dina

Forum Member
    My husband was nauseous when I put fluids and fortisips through his syringe into his PEG. He now has 1000 litres, water, medications and flushes and 2 feeds a day through his PEG. I start from 7am approx and go through to approx 7pm, taking it slowly with a couple of hours break at lunchtime so he has a pureed meal and a coffee then. It works really well and he is getting all the vitamins, fibre etc needed with his feeds which is great.

Hi Devonmaid,

I wonder if overnight pump feeding may suit your husband better? It's certainly more convenient and less labour-intensive than multiple manual feeds throughout the day, which would allow for a less rigid routine for you both.

He could still eat the pureed food and take fluids & meds through the tube during the day .

Just a thought....

Love Ellie.

Hi Dina;

I would think that around 200 ml in total at one time would be enough an give that time to work through. Even a half an hour before having some water apart from flushing the tube throw with 10 ml of water.

Glad to hear that they are giving you a extra fiber one.

Love Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Dina;

I would think that around 200 ml in total at one time would be enough an give that time to work through. Even a half an hour before having some water apart from flushing the tube throw with 10 ml of water.

Glad to hear that they are giving you a extra fiber one.

Love Terry
    Hi Terry,

I am on overnight feeding but no longer with the extra fibre feed. During the day I'm having water flushed through several times and then eating and drinking what I want - which is very little.
    Dina