Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventilation

Forum Member
    Congratulations on the granddaughter Dina

The physios who deal with the ventilator and the cough assist machines at Wythenshawe are all good. So are most of the nursing staff.
    You will have a chest x-ray within the first day or so
    They also will give a nightly anti-coagulation injection in your tummy
    There is a Subway, an M&S and a WH Smiths not far from the ward - Christine brought me daily ice creams and coca-cola to supplement the diet
    Last edited by Dis1960; 27th July 2019 at 08:47. Reason: Coca-cola

Quote Originally Posted by Dis1960 View Post
    Congratulations on the granddaughter Dina

The physios who deal with the ventilator and the cough assist machines at Wythenshawe are all good. So are most of the nursing staff.
    You will have a chest x-ray within the first day or so
    They also will give a nightly anti-coagulation injection in your tummy
    There is a Subway, an M&S and a WH Smiths not far from the ward
    Thank you, Douglas.

Thank you, also, for the heads up about what's likely to happen during my stay. I wonder if they will allow me to self-administer the anti-coagulent, like I did in the Acute Neurology Unit at Salford Royal?
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillette View Post
    Thanks, Kayleigh.

This evening has been a mad flurry of telephone calls and messages sorting out last minute arrangements. I had planned to meet them at the tram station but, unfortunately, the forecast is for heavy rain. Not only that but they are travelling on an earlier train than anticipated so will be arriving before my carers are likely to have finished. I shall have to tell the carers to work at double speed!
    Hi Dina,

I hope you enjoyed the weekend with your family staying and meeting your lovely baby granddaughter for the first time. I hope their journeys went smoothly and you all had a great time together.

Love Kayleigh x

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hi Dina,

I hope you enjoyed the weekend with your family staying and meeting your lovely baby granddaughter for the first time. I hope their journeys went smoothly and you all had a great time together.

Love Kayleigh x
    Hi Kayleigh,

Thank you so much for asking. We had a wonderful weekend. I had literally hours of cuddles, read her some stories (which my son recorded so that he can play them to her to show who I am/was.

Their journeys went smoothly except his fiancée left her handbag in the baby changing room and didn't realise until they were on the tube. She went back to Euston but there was no sign of it, nor had it been handed in.
    Dina

Hi Dina,

It sounds like you and your baby granddaughter had a blissful time getting to know each other at the weekend! Undoubtedly, she would have enjoyed all those cuddles and all that lovely time together as much as you did.

From all the love you bless her with and the precious memories you make for her, she will always know that her Nana Dina loves her very much and she will always cherish your everlasting love in her heart.

It's such a shame about the handbag and very disappointing that it wasn't handed in. Hopefully nothing of great value was in the bag and it was possible to cancel any credit cards quickly. I'm glad that despite that hic-cup, baby and parents reached you safely and you all had a wonderful weekend.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 30th July 2019 at 01:36.

Hi Kayleigh,

You have a lovely way with words. Thank you for your comments.

As a family we are busy making memories in whichever way we can.
    Dina

Hi Dina. Sounds lovely about meeting your new granddaughter with lots of cuddles. Good idea of recording you telling her stories.

So sorry about the loss of your future daughter in laws' handbag. I hope that she cancelled her cards quickly and her bank gets on the case.

I hope that the young family got home safely.

Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 30th July 2019 at 08:40.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

That sounds like a lovely, special weekend for you all Dina (well, apart from the baby-brain handbag incident )

Wonderful idea to record you reading her a story!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    So glad you had such a beautiful weekend with your new granddaughter, Dina and got lots of cuddles.

It sounds so special and it's a great idea to record your story reading, although it must have been very emotive.

It's so uplifting when all the family are together and yours sound lovely.. you must be a proud mum and Grandmother!

Love Debbie x

Thanks, Debbie, Ellie and Lynne.

I had a telephone call at around 1:00am today saying there was a bed for me at Wythenshawe. I was still in bed so there was a mad panic to get organised in time for the transport at 12:00 noon, except that the ambulance arrived at 11:10am!

I have had a couple of practice sessions on the Nippy but I don't have to try it tonight as they are doing a sleep test.

I tried the Nippy in two different modes and with various settings. I might have more idea tomorrow. I know that the pressure mode I tolerated best is not suitable for use when I have the PEG fitted.
    Dina