Thread: Hi from Spain

Hi from Spain

My husband, Nigel , was diagnosed with ALS a few weeks ago. We retired to Spain just over two years ago and were enjoying our new lives. Looking forward to picking your brains and maybe I can be of some help to you, as we embark on this frightening journey. X

Welcome to the Forum, Puddy.

Sorry to hear about Nigel's diagnosis - you both must be in a state of bewilderment and shock right now.

Can Nigel access good quality care where you are? Not only Doctors and Nurses, but also Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy etc.
    And for you, do you have good support/friends in Spain?

Take care.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Puddy and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear of Nigel's diagnosis, it is so hard to get your heads around it to start with.

Where abouts do you live?

Please feel free to ask any questions or to just share things with us.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Puddy. Welcome to our forums. I'm sorry about Nigel's diagnosis. I hope that the care services in Spain are as good as over here and that where you live is wheelchair friendly.

Our friends have just sold up to emigrate to Spain. It's a small world. I hope that it stays that way post BREXIT. What a mess and worry.
    Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hello and welcome Puddy and Nigel. I’m sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed with MND and you must still be frightened of the future. You are probably aware of the work that MNDA does here to help us and I’m not sure if Spain has a similar charity. As has been said we generally have access to a multi disciplinary team who help us manage the symptoms as they arise.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Thanks everybody. The health care here is great. We live near Torrevieja and the hospital here is one of the best in the world. We opted for a ground floor flat because of inevitably getting older, so access isn't a problem. Dropped kerbs here aren't the best though!!

Hi Puddy,

My parents owned an apartment in Torrevieja in the 80’s and 90’s and I went out there several times. As Lynne said it’s a small world.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Puddy and a warm welcome to the forum,

I am so sorry about your diagnosis.. it's a huge shock so I am hoping you are both getting lots of support. The forum is a great place for practical and emotional help.

It's such a small world. We have a ground floor apartment at los Alcazares, not far from you. We had planned to retire there but unfortunately not now. However, since I have been diagnosed we have had it adapted with a wetroom. No steps at all and the area is so flat. I have found the health care there to be brilliant, although I have my MND care here.

Despite so many lessons online and 1:1 I still need an interpreter at the doctors !

Take care of yourself and each other,
    Love Debbie x

Thank you Debbie. So sorry your plans have gone awry. xxx

Husband, Nigel, diagnosed with ALS in July 2019. We live in Spain and the medical care is superb. Nigel currently taking Riluzole. Tried acupuncture/Chinese medicine and bee venom (privately), but not helpful.

Forum Member
    Hi Puddy,

I meant to put I am sorry about your husband, Nigel's diagnosis.

Love Debbie x