X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Gosh ladies, I do hope those pressure relief mattresses come very soon - I know I am always banging on about pressure sores but they are definitely to be avoided. I worry when I hear things like this...

Debbie, I wonder could your nurse give you heel protectors as an interim measure? They're usually in stock, so no real wait for them.

Sheepskin is nice for some short-term, low risk pressure relief, but might be a bit warm for bed?

Enjoy Strictly, Debbie.

And enjoy the Sunday Roast, Judy (jealous!) Happy Birthday Mr J.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Lynne K
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2017

Happy birthday for your husbands birthday tomorrow. I hope that you all enjoy the roast. Lynne
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Terry
        Forum Member
        • May 2012

Hi Debbie and Judy,

Do try to get a moving mattress if you lay down in one position over night. You are at great risk of bed sores if you do that. I think that one of first signs is a redness of a patch of skin that doesn't go away even after a few hours of being up. I don't think that it has to be painful.

I get hip pain if I sleep on my side for over a hour or so but clearly that is not your problem.

As Ellie says, raising your legs with a good pillow under your knees my well help ease the pain and you can adjust a profile bed during the night to suit.

I think Kayleigh is right in saying that beds and mattresses normally come from the district nurse. Well that was the case eight years ago.

Love Terry
        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Jude11
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2019

Thanks Terry, seems to be the way forward. I will ask OT when they come Tuesday

Judy xx

Comment

• Deb
            Forum Member
            • May 2018

Thank you Ellie, Kayleigh and Terry for the top tips about pressure sores.

Like Judy I am going to speak to my nurse and OT tomorrow. Sheepskin sounds very nice, however.

Ellie, you're definitely not " banging on !" My mum had a pressure sore after a major operation a few years ago and she said it was the worst thing so you are so right about preventing them. It took a long time to heal.

Love Debbie x

Comment

Working...
            X