Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle spasms

Forum Member

Muscle spasms

Are muscle spasms and/or pain normal in MND. I am at the early stages of MND and the worse symptom is weakness in my right leg and poor balance. My right leg seems to have worsened and I can't believe how tight the calf muscle now feels. It is also quite painful. At midday today I went back to bed for a rest. The pain stopped whilst lying down but I couldn't believe how extreme it was and the tightness when I got back out of bed.

Hi panniertank

People with MND can experience muscle spasms and pain. This is usually due to poor mobility, a change in posture and can be a reaction changes in muscle tone. Your GP should be able to prescribe some medication which will help to improve this.

It may also be worth asking for a referral to physiotherapy as they can suggest stretches and exercises which can help to lessen the spasms and pain.

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Hi Panniertank, very tight leg muscles and muscle spasms are an MND symptom. My calf muscles are very tight. I've had very bad cramps in them at night. But I've found that it happens when I stretch my legs. So, avoiding stretching them mostly avoids cramps. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Panniertank,

Is it possible that you have done some damage when you fell recently? I have noticed that my cramps have worsened since I fell 4 weeks ago and the doctor said it was a result of spinal injury. Of course as Lynne has pointed out cramps are often a symptom of MND.

Did you get a walker sorted out as it will improve your confidence? I know we have discussed shopping recently and I have learned a new tip. Like you I still drive so now I park next to the trolley bay and can get from the car to the trolley without needing my walker. Of course you need to be careful as unlike the walker, the trolley has no brakes.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Thank you all for your feedback. I am seeing my OT assistant tomorrow and my physio on Friday to discuss things like crutches and rollator . I can't believe I have fallen 4 times in the past 10 months. With my ankylosing spondylitis and associated osteopenia I am 4 times more likely to break a bone. With that knowledge I have always walked and done things very carefully. It was important as well to be active and do weight bearing exercises. So, as ever MND is being so cruel.
    Last edited by panniertank; 11th August 2019 at 18:48.

Hi Panniertank,

Sorry to hear about your cramps, they are so painful. As Lynne says, many of us get them in bed which is great fun. I found quinine helped but I only took it when I had trouble and was at more risk.

Uncontrolled stretching or over exercising muscles can set it off but sometimes it just happens.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Oh well I may have been wrong to describe it as spasms or cramps. My lower leg and foot and ankle were also swollen and I had to go to hospital after my gp examined it. Turns out that I've got a blood clot in my leg. I don't know if it is related to MND and/or my recent fall. But, either way I now have yet another serious health condition to contend with!!!

I hope that your blood clot gets absorbed and clears very quickly Panniertank. It must be very painful. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Good morning

Quote Originally Posted by panniertank View Post
    Turns out that I've got a blood clot in my leg. I don't know if it is related to MND and/or my recent fall. But, either way I now have yet another serious health condition to contend with!!!
    Oh dear - I do hope as Lynne says that the clot dissolves fairly soon, or is dealt with in some other way.

I was going to say that I am beginning to get real oddness in terms of pain and cramp as one of an opposing pair of muscles starts to weaken and so the "remaining" muscle and the relevant joint (In my case, left hip) takes a beating because it is not properly supported and the relevant muscles cramp.

Warmly
    Last edited by nunhead_man; 10th August 2019 at 10:27. Reason: To make sense!
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Forum Member
    Thank you Lynne and Andy. I am sorry Andy that you are experiencing pain with your cramps. I don't know why I have blood clots. The hospital staff said it was probably due to reduced mobility. I was surprised at that because I am at the early stages of MND and I have been trying to walk regularly. I did read on line, rightly or wrongly, that people with my spinal rheumatic condition are at increased risk of blood clots. Anyway, I am on medication now for the clot. I don't know how long that will take to help remove the clot and reduce my pain and swelling. Either way I have been told that I will have to take the meds permanently, not just short term.
    I am fortunate that my MND clinic staff raised concerns about my swelling and arranged for a GP to visit me at home. And then the GP arranged for ambulances to collect me. Trying to get a GP appointment/ attend the appointment and then get myself to hospital would have been very difficult with the way that clot has affected my mobility.
    Last edited by panniertank; 10th August 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Spelling mistake