Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emotional liability

Forum Member
    How wonderful that you have such a big milestone on the horizon. When my son got married I knew my EL would,probably be OTT but I worried about what to do with all those soggy tissues. My solution was to have a large extra handbag which was looked after by my sister in law and was nowhere to be seen in the wedding photos! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans for the big day.

Hi Hayls,

Great advice from others. Like Kayleigh, I get a few people in front of me a couple of feet away so that people can't see me directly. They give me plenty of tissues and reassure people that I am OK and will be OK in a few minutes.

If you can get away from people, great. Tell people not to be sympathetic or kind, sounds horrible but I find it sets me off.

I wonder if it's worth changing the drug to Barry's one, C. Have to ask your doctor because it might take a few weeks to do and for no gain.

Your idea about writing something on invitations is good. Explain that Mnd has affected your emotions and that you could laugh or cry uncontrollably, even howl. Please don't be upset or worry about it, it's just a part of me now. Some won't understand but most will. It might also be good to write, try not to be sympathetic or over kind.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Miranda and Terry, awww thank you both for sharing your hints and tips, I think my Maid of Honour will have her hands full with my soggy tissues and my Mums lol My husband to be said that heíll ensure he has extra hankies and our exit song after our ceremony, walking down the isle together will be Huey Lewis and the News, The Power of Love which Iím hoping that if Iím crying, this will get my laughing as well as everyone else when they hear the track and theyíll bust out laughing and me and my husband will be bopping down the isle lol

Forum Member
    Hi Haylis,

Please try not to worry and enjoy every second of your wedding. It sounds like it is going to be absolutely fantastic and everyone is allowed to cry at a wedding, anyway ! I love the idea of you and your new husband bopping down the isle to Huey Lewis.

Love Debbie x

Forum Member
    Thank you Deb, my mum was horrified at first at the thought of that song for our walking out song but luckily she’s warmed to it
    I had a surprise Hen Party last night and I ended up crying uncontrollably:’( and howling in the middle of Westbourne on a Saturday afternoon. All my friends and family followed my instructions perfectly, they made no fuss and I managed to calm down in under 10 minutes to go back in and hug everyone, thank you everyone for helping me realise that I have nothing to worry about

Hi Hayls;

There's nothing like a good Howl in a public place. Been there, do it and got the tee shirt.

Great they carried out the plan and then it only takes a little while to be normallish again.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    The big day came and went, I blubbered the moment I started walking down the isle and saw everyoneís faces, I managed to not howl and lots of hankies were offered, the registrar was extremely understanding as my vows where not the best spoken due to crying but WE DID IT thanks again for everyoneís support and advice, you where all so right
    Iíve been quite poorly the last week and unable to take my Sertraline, within 3 days I was crying uncontrollably at adverts and laughing at anything and everything, yikes, I forgot what a difference sertraline has made in my life, a few of you mentioned that EL is usually only temporary but itís at least 10 months in and itís shocked me just how much itís still with me, itís a blinking nuisance

Hi Hayls

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you had a good day.

Even without emotional lability, not taking Sertraline for a few days would often cause emotional symptoms. The not taking the Sertraline may have exacerbated the emotional lability symptoms for those few days.

I do hope that you are feeling better.

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Congrats to you both, Hayls

Hopefully you can restart the sertraline very soon, if you haven't done so by now, and get back to some sort of 'normal' emotions - it may take a while to kick in once restarted, so don't get too despondent.

Emotional lability in MND doesn't usually go away because the neurological damage which causes it doesn't get better, but it can be controlled to some degree with medication.

Wishing you both well in your married life.

Take care.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Congratulations, so pleased you had a lovely day x