• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wailywoo
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

Valerian to help with sleep

Hi all again,

I am a little worried about hubby using anything to help him sleep at night. He has suggested valerian, a natural remedy, and I wondered if anyone had any ideas? I don’t feel happy about sleeping tablets, I guess they might put him in too deeper sleep?

Thank you.

Wailywoo xx
    Never take tomorrow for granted!
  • Lynne K
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2017

Hi Wailywoo. There's a sleep app with relaxing music that a guy with heart problems created with friends on his website. It's based in New Zealand and is free to download on their website, address below. It was featured in the Guardian and BBC News last year. It helped me for months, and then I listened to BBC World Service for a couple of months. Now I don't need anything to get to sleep. I've suffered from insomnia off and on for many years. I'm enjoying being able to drop off but still wake several times during the night. I drop back off easily after a change of position or taking some pain killers. Often in the past if I woke I couldn't get back to sleep all through the night. The sleep app and World Service helped distract and relax me so I could get back to sleep.
    The only radio station on the planet that actually wants you to go to sleep while listening. We're the best cure for insomnia.

I hope that this helps.

Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Ellie
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2012

Hi Wailywoo,

My daughter took valerian and it worked OK-ish - no side effects, which is a bonus, but it took a few weeks to kick in fully.

I think melatonin, another natural remedy, is a better option (my girl couldn't take it as she is only 15) so maybe look into that, then decide between valerian and melatonin?

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

If hes over 55 he could be prescribed melatonin its a natural hormone it regulates sleeping and waking

Comment

• Wailywoo
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2019

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies. We decided against valerian for now and have decided to go along the route of massaging foot spa with essential oils in the evening and pain killers just before bedtime and see how it goes for now. Also, the music sounds a good idea Lynne, so have passed on the link to hubby. Many thanks to Ellie and Streetwise for the info about melatonin.

Sending love to you all,

Wailywoo xx
          Never take tomorrow for granted!

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Hi Wailywoo,

I listen to talking books to get my brain away from thinking in bed, I soon drift off.

I don't think there is any harm in taking a sleeping tablet from time to time.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
            X