Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital withdraw treatment

Forum Member

Hospital withdraw treatment

I request urgent advise in relation to a hospital Consultantís decision to withdraw medical intervention for a MND patient . The patient is to be sedated prior to either returning home / or being admitted into a Hospice next week. The following day life support will be removed or reduced while the patient remains under sedation. The patient has to be sedated as the patient is conscious and has comprehension.

The patient returned to hospital due to a package of care folding. The patient refused to return to hospital upon arrival of the ambulance organised by Continuing Health Care. The GP had documented the specific request of the patient not to return to hospital purposefully in fear of withdrawal of treatment.

The patients has a hospital acquired infection and responds to antibiotics but as the infection is expected to return one day, the hospital Consultant and Palliative Care Team and Continuing Health Care team have decided to instigate end of life Care next week.

I can't really offer advice. But I'm shocked and disgusted. Isn't it the MND sufferers decision whether or not to withdraw treatment?
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Hello Lynne

The patient is not aware. I am so fearful of repercussions Lynne that I dare not elaborate
    as I fear that I may make matters worse. If this is at all possible. I love the patient.

Juliette

Hi Juliette

Is it possible that you could give us a call to discuss this? Withdrawal of treatment is a complex situation and it would be easier to discuss it over the phone if possible. The conversation would be confidential. Our number is a freephone number and it's 0808 802 6262.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Forum Member
    Hi Juliette,

Sounds like euthanasia which is unlawful. I would contact the press or BBC urgently.

Love Graham
    Copyright Graham

Good afternoon Juliet

Is the person concerned able to communicate in anyway? I realise if they are deep into MND they may have lost their voice but must have been able to do so in some way to communicate in that they did not want to go into hospital again -

As I've said elsewhere there is one way of looking at hospital as being somewhere where you going with one thing wrong come out with two more.

And do ring MNDConnect - excellent team there
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Forum Member
    Hello Lynne, Rachel, Andy and Graham.

Thank you so much for your for your interest shown in mumís dilemma. Fortunately there had been a sea change (I had contemplated the court of protection) but the Consultant has decided to prescribe an antibiotic three times a week that will hopefully keep any possible future infection at bay and encouragingly the plan is now for mum to return home. An easy enough statement to make but an almost impossibility to carry out given the CCG, CHC & HCM teams.

Thanks for the update Juliette. Good luck for your mums homecoming, a turnaround of all the negative services and your mum's systedealing successfully with the infection with the help of antibiotics. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

I'm so sorry your mum was brought to the brink Juliette. I cannot imagine the torment you were put through and you still have massive uncertaintity now re getting your beloved mum home.

Is there any chance she could go into a hospice for symptom management ? Applying for CHC as a hospice inpatient might speed up the process - a hospice may not take a patient though for an undefined period...

Look after yourself and sending you a big hug.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hello Lynne, Rachel, Andy and Graham.

Thank you so much for your for your interest shown in mumís dilemma. Fortunately there had been a sea change (I had contemplated the court of protection) but the Consultant has decided to prescribe an antibiotic three times a week that will hopefully keep any possible future infection at bay and encouragingly the plan is now for mum to return home. An easy enough statement to make but an almost impossibility to carry out given the CCG, CHC & HCM teams.