Clear All
  • Ron12
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2019

Worried

Good morning,

I hope you are all well.

My name is Ron. I’m 43.

For about 2 years I have been feeling a strange sensation in my left lower leg. The sensations feel as though on lifting or walking there’s a loss of control almost like a buzzy sensation or mild electric current. This has been getting steadily more pronounced. My feet have for years been very cold with a change in colour now and then. This feeling is accentuated when the pace speeds up. When running it feels as though the foot wants to turn in the way but never does. My feet can become stiff and difficult to wiggle about. No loss of strength. My hands suffer similarly from the cold with a reduction in dexterity. I’ve been to neurology and done all the tests with everything in good order. Similarly with my MRI scan. My firearm can sometimes feel blocked and slight feeling of the arm being a bit weaker than normal. I’m worried about possible MND and just wanted to ask you guys if these symptoms are something you’ve heard of before.

I appreciate your time and hope you are well.

Thank you.
  • MNDConnect
    Forum Moderator
    • Mar 2016

Hi Ron

I'm sorry to hear that you are concerned about possible MND. The symptoms that you describe wouldn't be typical symptoms of MND. Sensations are usually caused by the sensory nerves and these aren't affected by MND.

Whilst someone with MND may experience cold hands and feet and discolouration, this is usually due to immobility and the person being completely unable to move their hands or feet. It's not a direct symptom of MND itself.

You've had these symptoms for about 2 years which would be very unusual for MND especially without any significant progression.

Did your neurologist give any suggestions as to what they think the cause of the symptoms might be?

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser
    MND Connect
    Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Ron12
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2019

Hello MND,

Thank you very much for replying i greatly appreciate.

The neurologist has said that he thinks potentially it may be something vascular. The reason the symptoms had me worried was that the mild changes in control of the leg whilst walking and worse when running gave me the impression that i was dropping strength. It only stated off as a slight twinge in the calf then got steadily more pronounced although there is no alteration walking although it can feel as though i'm exerting a little extra effort to bring forward sometimes that i assume is the buzzy feeling when the leg is lifted. Of course when i had noticed a little stiffness in the hands and a little trouble with dexterity i got frightened. Although again no weakness or loss of strength. These feelings can come and go they are relieved after exercise to a large degree. Am i right in thinking that with MND when a a point is reached where the hand may loss grip or the ankle loss muscle to keep the foot straight then that will not change?/ I mean there won't be a come and go feeling with that. Once its reached its reached.

Thank you.
      Ron

Comment

• MNDConnect
        Forum Moderator
        • Mar 2016

Hi Ron

Symptoms of MND don't come and go. Due to the progressive nature of the disease, once a symptom appears it just continues to get worse.

When someone has MND and it is affecting their legs, they often don't realise that there is something wrong. People often have quite nasty falls but aren't sure why. MND usually causes a physical weakness that can be picked up by a clinical examination rather than a feeling.

It can be easier to talk through concerns and we speak to a lot of people who are concerned about symptoms that they are experiencing. Please do feel free to give us a call on 0808 802 6262 and we can discuss your concerns with you.

Best Wishes

Rachel
        MND Connect Adviser
        MND Connect
        Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Ron12
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2019

Hi Rachel,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to get back to me.

Thank you again.

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear of your problems and worries but it certainly doesn't sound like Mnd to me.

Best wishes and tell us what it is when you find out.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ron12
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2019

Hi Terry,

Nice to meet you and i shall.

Take good care.

Comment

Working...
              X