Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve in hospital

Steve in hospital

Steve is in hospital with pneumonia again. Think he caught an infection after one of his carers came with a bad chest. We had told them they couldnít come but they still did. will be having strong words with the company.

Steve has been tube fed overnight since March with Nutricia energy/multi fibre. He has been very thirsty and weeing a lot during the night.. we asked the dietician about this but she didnít have an answer.

It seems on admission to hospital his blood sugars are high and the feed is causing the problem. In a morning they range from 22 to 26 and go down slowly over the day to around 12 to 14. He has been tested for diabetes and they have put him on insulin injections, but still not being successful yet in getting it down. Has anyone else had this problem with the feed?

He also coming home with a nippy machine which he will use overnight when they can get the mask right.

His infection is nearly better but wonít becoming home until the other 2 problems are sorted.

Sue

Ah Sue, that's awful of carers to come when they know that they're infectious and what the f*****g h**l are the care service doing letting their staff spread germs around vulnerable customers/patients. They are unprofessional to say the least. I would certainly complain and if you cannot get an assurance that it won't/can't happen again I'd sack them and get a different team.

I hope that Steve picks up quickly and all the interventions work as they ought. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 23rd August 2019 at 05:05.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Sorry to hear this Sue, hope Steve is well and home soon x

Hi Sue,

I’m sorry to hear that Steve is in hospital and please give him my best wishes. I did miss our usual chat at the last meeting.

I agree with Lynne that the care agency should insist that for vulnerable patients with MND, their carers should be infection free, after all we don’t allow our family and friends to visit if they are infectious.

Best wishes,
    Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Sue,

I’ve been on that same feed for 10 years and never had any problems.

If it’s not diabetes, I “assume” they’ve run full blood and checked organ function, especially liver and kidney function and checked his electrolytes. The increased glucose can be due to kidney issues - bloods need to be done ASAP.

Wishing you both all the best.

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 23rd August 2019 at 13:01.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

PS Sue, I keep a box of masks in case anyone arrives at my house with even a sniffle.

The care company and all my carers know that a chest infection can kill me - it’s in my care plan - and if a carer even has a mild cold, I’m always given the choice of either taking her or opting for a ‘cover carer’. Carers declare themselves unavailable if they have a cough, cold or chest infection, which occasionally causes short-term issues, but it's worth it to me.

I’m glad Steve’s infection has cleared and hope he finds a comfortable mask for the Nippy.

Look after yourself.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Good afternoon Sue

I too am sorry to hear that your partner is in hospital. I can only wish him the best.

Also, it is an only too common assumption that people with high blood sugar have diabetes - there can be a number of reasons for this, and if insulin is not hitting it, it must be something else.

Stress, and a bad cold, can both have this effect I understand.

And that is a good trick Ellie keeping a set of masks in the house to avoid colds - one I must add to my to-do list when the time comes - or indeed added to the new publication that I think the MND Association should produce which is a checklist of things that those gradually decaying need to take account of take account of - and in checklist form, of course - not dense text

Warmly
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

Hello Sue,

Sorry to hear that Steve is in hospital. I hope he will be well enough to return home soon.

Love to you both,
    Kayleigh x

Thank you everyone.

Steve has had everything tested and it came back positive for diabetes.. they have said they just need to get the insulin type and amount right. So hopefully the new one tonight will work.

Sue

Forum Member
    Hi Sue,

Sorry Steve is in hospital but hopefully now you know why it will be sorted soon.
    Hope hes home soon and feeling better.

Love Debbie x