Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walkers

Walkers

Hi all. I requested a light weight 4 wheeled walker that was narrower than my Topro. I had measured all the places around the flat that I couldn't get through with the Topro. 23" ought do it I found. I then searched online for a suitable example and sent links to my physio. The Topro is great for stability and very good design. But it proved too wide for around the flat and I couldn't lift it into the car. I've been using a 3 wheeled indoors but had enough of it after my last fall.

The new walker came this week. I've had a couple of days to test it. It's much more stable than the 3 wheeled as I'd suspected it'd be. It's narrow enough to get around our flat. I also took it down the slope to my car last evening and lifted it in. This was tricky and slow but doable.

There's a couple of things though that are not so good. The brakes are very stiff. It's much harder for me to squeeze the brakes on to stop the walker. When going down the slope I keep my feet still and move the walker, squeeze the brakes on and then move my feet to catch up. This is a slow process but the safest way. I hope that the brakea ease up with use.

It's similarly stiff to fold up the new walker. That proved precarious when I was preparing it for lifting into the car. I had to ballance close to the car while using 2 hands to fold the walker. That ought to loosen up with use. I got it in the car eventually which I was very pleased about. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne;

Pleased to hear that you've got the walker and it works. Sounds a bit risky going down slopes and especially getting it into the car. Maybe keep the brakes locked on going down slopes and slid it. Get hubby to open and close it loads of times to loosen the folding.

STAY SAFE, don't rush.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I keep the brakes “half on” when I use my walker. It’s too uncontrollable otherwise.

Terry, good ideas. Miranda. I can't manage to keep the brakes half on with the new walker. It takes me a big effort to squeeze them at all because they are so stiff. With the other walker I often do as you say.

Miranda and Terry it's not as safe outside and going down the slope with the new one. I don't feel as secure. The wheels are solid plastic and because it's a 4 wheeled with no give on uneven ground, including down the slope there's frequently only 3 wheels on the ground. I've just been to Asda with Steve and used the new one to and from the car by home. But he pushed me around the shop in my manual wheelchair. So in future when my husband is with me I'll use the Topro. It's bigger and got lovely big rubber wheels that deal with uneven ground much better. But if I want to venture out on my own in my car for the short time that I'll be able to it'll have to be the light weight walker. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne,

Its great to hear you have got your new walker and it's working well for you indoors.

If your new walker is the trolley style (usually with 2 trays), I have read that they are designed mainly to use indoors. Therefore, it might not be very suitable or easy to use outdoors on bumpy pavements or on uneven surfaces etc.

If yours is the trolley style with trays, please be very careful if you are going to use it outside, as it might only be safe and suitable to use on surfaces that are flat and fairly smooth.

I hope you and your husband are having a lovely weekend.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 24th August 2019 at 15:00.

Hi Kayleigh. The new light weight walker is supposed to be suitable indoors and outdoors. It doesn't have trays. It has a small bag with a hard plastic seat over it. The seat has to fold up either to access the bag and also to fold the walker up towards me. The wheels stay apart when it's folded as it doesn't fold handles together like the 3 wheeled or the Topro. I'm interested in getting a walker with trays instead of this one because if it's going to just be used indoors then it may as well serve two purposes then I can get rid of my hostess trolley that I haven't been using because it doesn't have brakes so runs away.

I'd still have the problem of not being able to lift the Topro into my car. So I wouldn't have the independence of being able to go out driving alone. When my hubby is with me he almost always drives. So I'd be saying goodbye to my driving before I'm ready. I don't know what to do now Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I remember you mentioning on another thread that you were hoping to get a replacement trolley with trays - but now I realise that your new walker isn't that one.

I can see why your OT provided you with the more compact and lightweight walker but it's a shame it doesn't work as well outdoors for you as it does indoors.

I can see the merits of having a trolley with the trays and brakes, as it will be a very practical piece of equipment to use indoors. However, I don't drive and so I don't have any experience of the dilemma you face. Also, I don't know if a trolley would be as easy to use and manoeuvre indoors as your new walker is. Even if you decide to swap your new walker for a trolley, hopefully your OT would let you try the trolley out for a while, before you had to decide which one to keep.

Although you still have the ability to drive, it must be frustrating for you not always being able to get out and about independently. Your safety is the priority though. I worry about you lifting the walker into the car, if it puts you at risk of losing your balance and possibly falling - and so please be careful..

Love
    Kayleigh x

Thanks Kayleigh, very wise words from you as always. About a hostess trolley with brakes. I asked my OT weeks ago in an email and she's never replied. I see her Thursday next so I'll mention it and explain about the new walker. She ordered my existing hostess trolley and the physio orders walkers. There's job demarcation there, but I don't know the boundaries. Lynne x
    Last edited by Lynne K; 25th August 2019 at 05:31.

Hi Lynne,

I think that they both come out of the same pot unless you get something second hand. I guess that they have a computer file on your equipment.

Love Terry

Lynne, is Natalie your physio? I know she and Jennie are both in the unofficial MND community team (as part of the Community Palliative Care Team). So it may well be as Terry said that it comes from the same pot.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.