Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walkers

Yea Natalie is my physio and Jennie my OT. They are both in the same palliative care team with our speech therapist and others. They have team meetings regularly so we only need to speak to one of them and if it is the wrong person they pass it on.

How are you Dina?
    Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

It's interesting you mentioned the demarcation of responsibilities and I thought I'd look on the Mnda website to try and find out how this usually works with OTs and physiotherapists etc. On page 8 of the Mnda's information sheet about Equipment and Wheelchairs, it says that one of an OT's responsibilities is to advise about equipment that will help us continue with our daily routines as independently as possible (and this probably explains why the hostess trolley was provided by your OT rather than your physiotherapist).

My thoughts are that you shouldn't have to give up your new walker, even if your OT swaps your hostess trolley for one with brakes. You have a genuine need for both - the hostess trolley will help you to keep your independence with transporting food and drinks etc from the kitchen and you need to keep your new walker to use indoors as well (eg it's probably not very appropriate for a hostess trolley to be taken into a bathroom).

As your OT provided you with your current hostess trolley, hopefully she will agree to swapping it for one with brakes. I think It would be better if OTs always provided hostess trolleys with brakes, because they are much safer to use and are likely to meet someone's needs for much longer than a trolley without them.

I hope you are enjoying the good weather. It makes a change from the usual rainy August bank holiday weekend!

Love
    Kayleigh xx

P.S Link provided below to Information Sheet '11C Equipment and Wheelchairs':-

http://https://dbsy278t81889.cloudfront.net/app/uploads/2019/03/14095610/11C-Equipment-and-wheelchairs.pdf

Hi Kayleigh, I got a used hostess trolley 20 months ago approximately. It still had some grot on it. That was the first thing that I was given and I wasn't at all impressed.

Thanks for checking rules etc. I'll ask my OT when I see her Thursday about getting a hostess trolley with brakes. They're 56 - 75 online. Some places don't offer vat exemption which may be part of the price differences.

Currently I sit in our small kitchen on my Topro every morning for my porridge (with maple syrup on top) and cup of tea. I could take the porridge in to our living room in the bag of my walker, on top of my handbag. But a mug of tea is impossible for me to carry in. So a trolley with wheels would make my breakfasts more pleasant. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Yea Natalie is my physio and Jennie my OT. They are both in the same palliative care team with our speech therapist and others. They have team meetings regularly so we only need to speak to one of them and if it is the wrong person they pass it on.

How are you Dina?
    Lynne
    Hi Lynne,

Thanks for asking. I'm not doing too badly, thank you. I'm likely to be in here until around 6 or 7 September as they are unlikely to be able to get a care package set up by next Thursday. I have a pre-op assessment here on Friday, then would have to be admitted on the Saturday or Sunday in readiness for my two procedures on Monday 02. Then I will be here while recovering from having two things done on the same day, plus they will be teaching me how to use the PEG.

I'm glad I'm in here as the whole care situation was getting me down. It's giving me time and space to calm down.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Lynne,

I hope everything went OK when your OT visited you recently.

Love
    Kayleigh x

Hi Kayleigh, yea it did. She brought me a toilet seat riser. She ordered it several weeks ago and sent about three reminders but they hadn't sent it. So she picked it up and brought it to me herself. It is helpful.

I'm waiting on a grant from the MNDA so that I can order mobile phone and ipad holders for my powered wheelchair. I want to explore our new home area using Google Maps on my phone. Predictable is on my ipad and I need to practice using that.

I'm beginning to feel irritated by having to repeat myself when the first time I spoke was an effort. I don't feel irritated by strangers asking me to repeat. It's my husband who winds me up asking frequently. My daughter who I speak to often seldom does. Even stranger's seldom do. I told him to get his ears checked a couple of weeks ago. He was annoyed at that suggestion. But he booked a test eventually. It was to be yesterday. However Boots refused to do his hearing check because his ears were impacted with wax. 'Aha' I thought. This could have been easily sorted several weeks ago.

How are you Kayleigh?

Lynne x
    Last edited by Lynne K; 13th September 2019 at 15:01.

Hi Lynne,

Good to hear that you eventually got your seat riser. Hopefully your husband's hearing (and ability to be patient) will improve very soon.

I'm ok Lynne - thanks for asking.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 13th September 2019 at 15:06.

Thanks Kayleigh x

Oh Lynne, thank you so much for brightening up my day and making me chuckle!

Ear wax He has no excuse now and had better hear you loud & clear. If not, chase him with the wiper on the broom handle gizmo

Love Ellie.

Ellie xx