• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gillette
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

Becoming a tad bored.

Good morning all.

It's a beautiful sunny morning here at Wythenshawe Hospital. The only cloud on the horizon is that I am getting a bit bored. My arms and hands are not playing nicely so everything is taking more effort: washing my face, brushing my teeth, lifting a drink and picking things up off my over-bed table etc.

I'm sure that some of you have interesting and/or amusing tales to tell. Well, your luck is in! You have a willing audience, waiting with bated breath. Actually, I'm so fed up you could tell me boring stories, if you like!
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Oh dear!!

But it's very understandable. Boredom to an active brain is terrible.

I'll help if I can with a tale or two. Tell me, if the stories were films, what classification would you prefer. Answer via PM as will be the stories.

Thinking of you.

Doug x
    Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Dina,

Shame you couldn't get outside earlier on.

Quite a exiting morning, got up just before ten, trapped wind problems. Bit rushed as wife has running club from our gym at twelve.

Sat on loo, and a bit of wind flowed. Had breakfast watching a bit of a program on. HMS Belfast, I knew you would be interested.

Straight back to loo, wind there but couldn't get any out. Cleaned my teeth and had a drink, still no movement in the nether regions. Getting late and said to wife that I will have to stay at home, so she got a few things ready for that.

I have a wash and dry loo, so just blow drying bum and some wind popped out.

So now sitting down at the gym drinking coffee waiting for my wife to come back from her run to take me in gym.

Hope you can get out and away from your room and it's not too hot.

You did ask.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Gillette
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

That was brilliant, Terry. I particularly enjoyed all the references to wind! Who knew it could be so fascinating?
        Dina

Comment

• Terry
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

I'm afraid that it controls my life, to a certain extent, Dina,

I trust that you have finished your lunch by now.

I have done seven moves in my online chess games, just thought you might be interested.

Also played,, You're Gorgeous by Babybird, to one of the cafe girls that is getting married in ten days.

Love Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2012

I'll bet you are bored Dina

Any fun happening on the ward? There's only so much "I spy" one can handle!!

Mind you, with Sunday afternoon visitors piling onto the ward, you may have some distraction in people watching - then wanting the noisy rabble to leave and for peace to resume...

Hang in there.

Love Ellie.
            ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Kayleigh
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2018

Hi Terry,

How lovely of you to play the cafe girl a song - you are such a thoughtful romantic TC!

I tried online chess but couldn't manage to beat the computer (even at the easiest level!) I can remember what move each chess piece can make but it's the strategy side of the game that I'm not very clever at. Draughts is probably better for me!

Love Kayleigh xx

P.S. Have you won a game of online chess against CC yet??! LOL

Comment

• Sheila
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2019

Hi Dina,
                I know what you mean about the fingers, hands and legs not working. Mine are the same. Getting the top on the toothpaste is a long old job.
                I can't match Terrys wind story, but it was really entertaining
                I am thinking of you and hoping something exciting will happen this afternoon. If you like football Tottenham and Newcastle are playing at 4pm on sky.
                Sending best wishes
                Sheila x

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Terry View Post

Also played,, You're Gorgeous by Babybird, to one of the cafe girls that is getting married in ten days.
                  Great song TC but did you ever listen to its lyrics? Quite explicit to play to a bride-to-be, or maybe that was your last ditch plan to have her call off the wedding

Any idea if your windy issue is food related? I won't try and compete with you by recounting my own loo adventures & exploits

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2012

Hello Dina,

After Terry’s tale of wind, I relate my weekend which I hope is more uplifting (wind required).

We set off on Friday for a 140 mile drive to Newbury where we spent the night to break our journey. Traffic wasn’t too bad heading south but I wouldn’t have been happy if I were heading north. It reminded me of my journeys when I lived in Hampshire and would drive north on a Friday to see my parents in Newcastle.

Yes Sheila I’m a Toon supporter.

We resumed our journey on Saturday with only 80 miles to go but it may have been 200 as we sat in huge traffic queues past Stonehenge. We were going to see our niece’s baby son who is only 6 days old and since members of both family’s were present it was good to catch up. My voice wasn’t working well so my wife ended up translating. What I did find interesting in discussion with my brother in law is that his son is a professor in the field of science and he is currently working with a company on gene editing for neurological conditions. Maybe one day he will eradicate MND.

Back home now after 4 hours in the car but the return journey was easy. I hope you don’t mind me speaking of my enjoyable weekend Dina when you are stuck in hospital but I hope that the story will cheer you up.

I trust you will be home soon and I wish you well.

Barry x
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

Hi Dina and Sheila,

I can empathise about how difficult and time consuming it is to get washed and dressed with weaker hands. I tend to use a toothpaste pump rather than having to squeeze a toothpaste tube but even that is taking more effort these days. I saw an automatic toothpaste dispenser on the Internet which might be easier to use - but I suppose it depends on how much strength is needed to push the toothbrush against the lever in the dispenser?

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enkNtS2RlSQ

Did you see 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' on TV last night? - I'm looking forward to seeing If the junior doctor continues to do well in the next episode tonight (he's currently on £64k with 3 lifelines left).

Love Kayleigh x

Comment

• Gillette
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                        I'm afraid that it controls my life, to a certain extent, Dina,

I trust that you have finished your lunch by now.

I have done seven moves in my online chess games, just thought you might be interested.

Love Terry
                        I love that song - it's so great to sing at the top of one's voice! I've always told my sons (who used to beg me to stop singing it!) that it has to be played at my funeral, so that they know it's me in the box!

After talking about your wind, I wondered what was coming when you mentioned seven moves! Ha ha ha!
                        Dina

Comment

• Gillette
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                          I'll bet you are bored Dina

Any fun happening on the ward? There's only so much "I spy" one can handle!!

Mind you, with Sunday afternoon visitors piling onto the ward, you may have some distraction in people watching - then wanting the noisy rabble to leave and for peace to resume...

Hang in there.

Love Ellie.
                          Hi Ellie,

The visitors are much quieter than when I was on this ward previously, so there hasn't been a problem.

The staff are lovely - lots of real characters.
                          Dina

Comment

• Gillette
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Sheila View Post
                            Hi Dina,
                            I know what you mean about the fingers, hands and legs not working. Mine are the same. Getting the top on the toothpaste is a long old job.
                            I can't match Terrys wind story, but it was really entertaining
                            I am thinking of you and hoping something exciting will happen this afternoon. If you like football Tottenham and Newcastle are playing at 4pm on sky.
                            Sending best wishes
                            Sheila x
                            Hi Sheila,

I shall show my grandson your message as he loves football and I hate it. He often wears his football kit when he comes to visit, because he knows I don't like it. He also tries to wear green as he knows how much I dislike it!
                            Dina

Comment

• Gillette
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                              Great song TC but did you ever listen to its lyrics? Quite explicit to play to a bride-to-be, or maybe that was your last ditch plan to have her call off the wedding

Any idea if your windy issue is food related? I won't try and compete with you by recounting my own loo adventures & exploits

Love Ellie.
                              Oh no, so now we are descending into the realms of toilet humour!!!
                              Dina

Comment

Working...
                              X