• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickmac
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2016

Breathing tests for feeding tube.

Hi all

I'm due to have a rig tube inserted in the next few weeks and wanted to ask what sort of breathing tests are done beforehand. I know my breathing is a bit worse but I don't have any actual numbers. Are there loads of different tests and do many people fail them.

Mick.
  • Gillette
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

Hi Mick,

I am due to have a PEG fitted on Monday. I don't know the names of the breathing tests but they were not onerous and probably took a maximum of 30 minutes overall. If they are concerned about your breathing and/or coughing, they may offer you a Cough Assist machine and/or a Non-Invasive Ventilator (NIV).

I was told that I need to be comfortable using the NIV before the PEG is fitted as I will have to use it during the procedure.

Obviously things may be different for having a RIG fitted but I thought what I've said may be helpful.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Mick;

I doubt that they will do any breathing tests if you're having a RIG opp because they are not sedating you and they have access to your breathing at all times.

When did you last have breathing tests?

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• mickmac
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2016

Probably six months or so. I've neglected my breathing a bit.

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Hi Mick,

Did someone mention your breathing in relation to the RIG procedure?

As Terry said, the RIG procedure can be done even if your breathing is quite poor (a Nippy / NIV / BiPAP can be used during the procedure if necessary)

Breathing tests come in different forms - the simple SNIP test, which the physiotherapist does in Beaumont MND Clinic, takes only a couple of minutes, gives an accurate snapshot of lung function. And there isn't a pass or fail result, just numbers.

Hope the procedure goes well for you.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Catsparkle
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2018

I had some as a pre peg screening last week . In one i breathed in deeply and out completely into a tube in my mouth like an inhaler. They took blood from an artery (wrist or earlobe) cos it shows blood oxygen levels more accurately than veins. I had a thing like a vicks inhaler up one nostril, they closed the other and i had to sniff and the last one was a finger clip attached to an oxygen monitor watch i had to wear overnight. Everyone was super nice

Comment

• Sueb
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2014

Hi Mick

When Steve had his Rig fitted they just did bloods especially blood clotting, it took them 5 goes at this! Steve doesn’t like to give his blood away! and arterial blood gasses.

Sue

Comment

Working...
              X