• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jude11
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2019

Commode transfer

After a fall I am in hospital and they don't think frame is safe as my knee gives way. Really worried about how I am going to transfer to toilet from wheelchair when I get home. They are talking about slide transfer to commode but not sure how that works. Anyone have any experience or ideas?
  • Deb
    Forum Member
    • May 2018

Hi Jude,

So sorry you are in hospital after your fall. I recently got together with my OT and physio and together we decided I had had one fall too many using my rollator and it was not safe. In the
    longer term we talked about hoists and , although I had been dreading this I dont mind now as it is safety first ! They are also going to try me with a Sara steady to see if my legs are strong enough to just weight bear. I don't know if this would help you as i thinkyou need someone to hold it.

At the moment I can transfer sideways from bed to chair to loo and shower chair etc using my arms to push up. I do it on my own but my husband likes to stand in front in case I topple forwards. He is super cautious at the moment.

Hope you heal and get home soon Jude, with the support you need.

Love Debbie x

Comment

• Lynne K
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2017

Hi Jude. Very sorry about your fall. I too hope that you heal quickly and whatever they decide to give you for safety at home works well. I hope that the nurses are taking good care of you in the ward and that they know enough about MND to avoid treating you like your not compus mentous. Lynne
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• JAY TEE
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2014

Hello Jude yes I at sit to stand hoist is very easy to use, I am picked off the bed put onto the commode chair into bathroom after toilet shower put my pants on and then hoisted up pants and trousers pulled up when standing then on wheelchair for the day. Best wishes John

Comment

• Jude11
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2019

Thanks John, tried slide transfer yesterday but very difficult to get pants off once there so maybe have to go hoist.
          Jude ��

Comment

• Jude11
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2019

Hi Debbie
            Thanks for the advice, will just have to try all options and which is best. Our bathroom being changed to wet room while I am in here so hopefully make things easier.

Jude x

Comment

• Jude11
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2019

Hi Lynne
              Yes nurses here very good which is a blessing.

Jude x

Comment

• Gillette
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2019

Hi Jude

I used to slide transfer between chair, commode and stairlift. I couldn't slide transfer onto or off bed because of the difference in height. For the slide I was give a "banana board", which was a solid piece of plastic, about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. It was curved (rather like a kidney shape). There is a bit of a knack to positioning the board but I found it easy to use.
                Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• johnburton
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2018

I use a transfer board for all transfers now. For the loo, I transfer to a shower chair, then propel myself to the loo and slide over it. I can drag my nether garments off, with some effort. But I need my partner to get them back on again, while I hold my bottom clear of the chair, using my arms. Once my arms aren't strong enough to do board transfers, it'll be time for a hoist.

Comment

Working...
                  X