Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Think im getting a cold

Forum Member

Think im getting a cold

Do I need to see a doctor to check if its aspiration related?

Hi Lisa,

If you're in any doubt, it's always best to see a GP and have your lungs checked out.

You say you think you're "getting a cold" - does that mean a runny nose, cough, temperature, sore throat?

Aspiration pneumonia happens if some food or foreign object is inhaled into your lungs and some common symptoms include increased breathlessness, cough (often with phlegm) and a high temperature.

Aspiration can happen to us when we've difficulty swallowing and a weak, ineffective cough to get us out of trouble should anything go down the wrong way.

Hopefully you've only got a mild head cold but if in doubt, check it out. If it is a head cold, keep an eye on it and if it goes down to your chest, see your GP immediately.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thankyou ellie x it feels like upper respiratory, that was very usual for me before mnd but ive been clear
    Since leaving teaching. I'll get checked out tomorrow.

Hi Catsparkle;

Anything respiratory is best to get checked just to be on the safe side.

Love Terry

Hi Lisa,

I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Love Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    Went through 111 and the out of hours service, was given antibiotics. It's a chest infection. Feels like the viral sort i used to get. Concerned by the carers' lack of hand washing and the new carer's cough

Antibiotics don't work on viruses Lisa, so if it is viral, hopefully it'll pass soon.

Be strict with your carers - insist on them frequently washing their hands (I put nice hand creams beside the sinks so they won't get dry hands with the frequent washing )

If the agency send you ill carers, the least they should do is to wear a face mask!! If you haven't done so already, tell the carer company not to send you anyone with an infection - yes, you'd think something like that would not need to be spelled out, but sadly it does...

Hope you feel better soon.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    The antibiotics are an insurance policy against it being bacterial i would assume Ellie , for viral it's fluids and rest isnt it.
    The carer has copd, and while I expect its a coincidence i developed an infection after she visited, I'm still uncomfortable having someone cough around me.
    I have literally never seen a carer wash their hands. They have been wearing gloves through intimate care to the end of the call.
    Ive been in touch with my palliative care nurse and the agency..
    What do you expect re carer hygiene Ellie? It would be useful to know what should be happening!

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that you've got a chest infection.

I don't think the agency should be sending you a carer who has a cold. You might need to let the care agency know that MND patients shouldn't be looked after by carers who have any infectious medical conditions (including coughs, colds, flu, stomach upsets etc).

Ideally, the agency should be able to provide a different carer to cover for your usual carer while she has a cough.

Hand washing should be an essential part of all paid carers' basic training and the agency should be checking that their carers have received all relevant training.

However, If carers have gaps in their knowledge/training about hand washing, there is some useful information and guidelines on the 'NICE' and 'NHS' websites:-

http://https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg139/ifp/chapter/Principles-of-preventing-infections

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy...sh-your-hands/

I hope you feel better soon.

Love and hugs,
    Kayleigh x

Forum Member
    That's super useful Kayleigh, thankyou x