Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neater Arm Assist

Forum Member

Neater Arm Assist

Has anyone had experience or use the Neater Arm Assist?

I had a home visit from Neater via my S&LT and OT - seems a very useful piece of kit for those of us who have lost use of their shoulders and upper arm. It works very well - but at a price!

I am thinking of buying this system - but would like to hear from any one who has used or tried to use it.

Kind regards

Chas

Hi Chas,

Whilst I have no personal experience of the aid my friend uses one and she thinks it is marvellous. I understand that the MNDA gave her a grant towards the cost which you elude to is expensive.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Chas, I've no personal experience of it but, searching the Forum, people who used it seemed happy with it (they didn't say who paid for it unfortunately)

Just thinking, if you wanted to buy a Neater Eater, why not apply for an MNDA grant towards the cost of it? And don't feel you're not entitled to a grant - I'm quite sure all of the people who raise money for the MNDA want it used to improve the life of someone living with the day-to-day challenges MND throws at us...

Here's the relevant page explaining about grants: https://www.mndassociation.org/suppo...ople-with-mnd/

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 16th September 2019 at 16:22.

Sorry Chas and Barry.

There weren't any posts when I started my reply, but I got distracted by a needy dog and didn't realise Barry had given the same advice by the time I got to post my reply

Ellie your needy dog must come first as they have yet to learn how to feed themselves.

Love,
    Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi all

Sorry to intrude on a non-MND Connect thread! Hope no one minds.

I just wanted to clarify that funding for a Neater Eater can be made with our MND Support Care Grant. The application would need to be completed by either the Speech and Language Therapist or the Occupational Therapist. A feeding aid would be considered an assessed need so it falls under our Support Care Grant rather than our Quality of Life Grant. Most pieces of equipment would be considered an assessed need and require the appropriate healthcare professional to complete the application. They can download the application form from the link that Ellie has posted (thanks Ellie )

Thanks everyone.

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Thanks for clarifying which category of grant it'd fall under Rachel.

Love Ellie.

PS. You certainly don't need to apologise to me for intruding, if you can call it that. I'd much rather Chas gets the complete & correct info (not to mention the fact that I often post on the MND Connect pages )
    Last edited by Ellie; 16th September 2019 at 16:28.

Forum Member
    Thank you all for your replies. I know the 'needy dog' situation - we have a 6 month old Irish Setter - great fun but quite a handful when he 'decides' he wants to play.

Just to be clear it is the Neater Arm Support system that interests me - the Neater Eater was useful too but I think the Arm Support system works better to feed myself - and enables access to other pieces of technology that are arriving soon. So I'll be wired up - tubed up and powered up - I'll report back when it is all in place.

Kind regards

Chas

That arm looks way cool Chas, looking forward to hearing how it works for you x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportingmac View Post

Neater Robo-arms are out of stock - sadly for me it will be a 4~5 week wait.
    That's a shame Chas - I was looking forward to you getting it almost as much as you were
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.