Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best airline

The best airline

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing the best they can.

As we have previously discussed travel with MND I thought I would relate my recent experience. We are currently in Menorca which is a bearable 2 hour flight and the temperature of 28C is suiting my spasticity.

I canít recommend Jet2 highly enough as they organised our flights and hotel. My only criticism is that you canít book assistance on the website so having little speech my wife called them. At the airport both ends Jet2 have plenty of staff to ease your journey and we were fast tracked through check in and security.

There was a minor hiccup in Menorca when the private transfer I had booked turned out to be a small coach for just us two. As there were 4 steps within the bus we refused to get on so they very quickly transferred us to a local taxi with the promise to avoid the incident on the return.

My challenge today was to get into the pool and the effect of being in water is so therapeutic. Getting out was harder as I had to haul myself up the ladder but it was worth it.
    Our hotel is accessible and they even offer scooter hire.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

That sounds very good service Barry.

May I ask - did you take any form of wheelchair or scooter?

Dave

Forum Member
    Hello Barry,
    I hope you have a lovely holiday, enjoy yourself.
    Sheila

Hi Barry,

Thank you for sharing your experience so far with Jet2.

I would like to have a holiday but don't know if I feel brave enough to attempt one.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaitland View Post
    That sounds very good service Barry.

May I ask - did you take any form of wheelchair or scooter?

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I only took my walker but someone had a scooter which was packed in the hold. Strangely the scooter arrived before my walker.

Best wishes,
    Barry

Hello Barry,

Your holiday sounds great and good to hear that everything went smoothly with Jet2.

I hope you and your lovely wife have a wonderful time in sunny Menorca and your return journey goes well.

Love and best wishes,
    Kayleigh x

P.S Just in case anyone is interested in finding out more about Jet2, I've provided a link to their 'Mobility Assistance' webpage, below:-
    http://https://www.jet2.com/faqs?topic=medical-and-special-assistance&category=mobility-assistance

Thanks Kayleigh for posting the useful link to Jet2 assistance.

Barry x

Hi again Barry,

It's very handy your hotel hires Scooters. I also found a couple of websites for companies based in Menorca who hire out mobility scooters and other equipment (for use at any holiday accommodation):-

http://http://holidaymobilityscootersmenorca.com/

http://http://menorcamobility.com/

Love Kayleigh x

P.S Are you near the sea ? - If you spot a mermaid splashing around in the next few days, then please give her a friendly wave, as it will probably be me! (LOL - ref. my post on the 'Artificial Tail' thread today ).

Forum Member
    Glad you're enjoying the sunshine in Menorca, Barry. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, it sounds lovely.

Despite the hassles of travelling I find the sun and scenery really lifts my mood. We have just returned from three weeks in Spain and I was very , very anxious about travelling as it is the first time since I cannot weight bear. I also am on injections for a blood clot due to breaking my leg earlier in the summer. As soon as I was declared fit to fly my husband booked flights ( I had no time to argue ) with full special assistance.

Ryanair were very efficient and helpful although the actual assistance is provided by the airport. Ryanair arranged for me to take my Salsa powerchair at quite short notice as we were waiting for the battery to be changed to make it flight friendly . They gave us free seats by the lift and arranged extra bags for medication as this could not be stored in the hold. My chair goes with me in the lift and then I use an aisle wheelchair. The tricky bit is lovely, helpful assistance people in Spain trying to lift me when I can transfer sideways as long as J am not rushed. I really do need to keep learning Spanish !! The loo would be a problem for me too on the plane so Spain is far enough!

We are lucky enough to know a couple of taxi drivers there that have WAVS but you can hire them there much cheaper than here.

I have found both Jet 2 and Ryanair to be really helpful, prompt and efficient. I think there is limited space for powerchairs and scooters in the hold so it is probably better to book in advance, if possible . You are entitled to one electric and one manual chair free of charge.

It is so scary travelling because you are reliant on people and you dont have the same support network abroad ( nurses, physio, close friends etc ) but it seems worth it at the moment.

Our annual travel insurance was a bit of a game because of the extra complications and hospital admissions in addition to MND but it wasn't too bad.

Big apologies to those on here who are unable to travel.
    Take Care,
    Love Debbie x

Hi Kayleigh,

We are very close to the sea and I swear I saw a mermaid but then again it may have been a dolphin.

Debbie,

I pleased you had a great time in Spain despite the difficulties of travel and all the equipment you need. My challenge when using the hotel scooter is what do I do when I get to where I’m aiming for since I can’t expect my wife to wheel my walker behind me. I tried tying it on the seat back but that didn’t work so I have now resigned myself to staying local.

Love Barry x74DBB170-F322-4149-93C0-78A1CAAE0AA9.jpg