Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lining alone#2

Hi PT;

Sorry to hear of your struggles and not making any headway.

From a useless, Terry

I can understand your fear of getting out with your walking frame Panniertank. I've been there even though I've got a partner. I've been stuck in myself for a couple of weeks, other than one day out to the 10k. Actually I was fed up before the 10K. That's not like me at all. I normally keep upbeat.

It might be a good idea to get a motability car on one of their leases. At least then if you had to give up driving in the future they'd pick it up and give you something back from your contract. You could sell the car that you have now and maybe use any profit for your up-front fee on a suitable WAV. Lots to think about I know. I hope that I haven't caused you even more stress.

Good luck with having a more relaxing day soon and hopefully you can get a powered wheelchair soon and a ramp so that you can get it out.

Hugs, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Thank you for your feedback and suggestions Lynne. My house has a sloping driveway and that is one of the complications about whether to build an extension or convert the garage etc. A ramp for wheelchair access might take up a lot of space and might even take away the parking spaces. So getting a powered wheelchair and fitting a ramp wouldn't be straightforward;- nothing seems to be!!
    I am sure you are not useless Terry. I feel I am. Like I have said before, I was burned out and struggling to cope with life before my symptoms started and I had been through several life changing events. I struggle to cope with change and the changes that MND are bringing are terrifying. If I was a pannier tank i would be scrapped!!

Hi Panniertank. I have a ramp to the right of our front door. It starts sloping to the left to join the steep path down to our car. It's a serious challenge with my best walker, the Topro, and too dangerous with my lightweight one. My powered wheelchair manages the slope but to come back up I have to put speed on and stop immediately at the top before I hit the flat wall in front of me. But I 've coped so far with some trepidation.

I guess having a good ramp is more important than parking spaces. Unless you are able to have a ramp at your back door. That's if you'd be able to get around the front ok. Good luck with sorting something out. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Duplicate deleted

Forum Member
    Hello Panniertank,

So sorry you've got to make such difficult decisions on your own. It's not surprising you feel anxious , especially as you dont feel safe to go out with your Walker.

As Lynne suggests the ramp is possibly more important than parking although obviously this is your choice. I use a power wheelchair and our car is a WAV , which I use my mobility allowance for. I resisted this until I couldn't go out safely or get out of a normal car and then it all became a mad hurry ! I have much more freedom and I feel safer in a wheelchair so I would gently suggest looking ahead ( which I didn't do ) to make life easier and safer for you. You don't have to use a wheelchair but it's there if you're tired or are having a wobbly day.

Good luck with everything Panniertank, I do think this stage of MND is especially hard and scary because you haven't quite got the things in place to make your life easier and there are lots of tricky decisions. I really hope the health care professionals are supporting you.

Love Debbie x

Forum Member
    Thank you Lynne and Debbie.