Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's adventure

Today's adventure

Situation report:

At lunchtime today I cheekily snuck into the men's bay of the ward I am in at Wythenshawe Hospital. I was on a secret mission i.e. when staff asked me why I was there I feigned innocence.

Ah! Success!

I trundled over to the bed in the the far left corner where I had spotted my prey... and then I pounced! (OK, not exactly pounced as I can't get out of my wheelchair.)

"Hello," I said, "I'm Dina, from the MND Forum". I am hugely gratified to be able to report that my victim's face broke into a smile and I was given an enthusiastic "thumbs up".

So, who was my mystery man?

Why, it was Douglas, of course, otherwise known as Dis1960 here on the forum! I had known for a while that he was a patient on the ward but resisted the temptation to ask staff how he was faring - patient confidentiality, and all that.

He seemed in fairly good spirits and was happy for me to tell members on here that I had seen him. I was only with him briefly but I am pleased that I met him and introduced myself. I hope to break into the bay again soon.

Report ends.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Forum Member
    That was lovely for you two to meet. You must do it again soon and go on another secret mission. Breaks the day up for you. Ha ha.
    Love to you and Douglas.
    Sheila.

Like it, Dina,

Maybe you both cause some lighthearted mischief there, especially if you communicate with each other before hand.

Does Douglas have a wheelchair there?

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Loved your telling of the story Dina, it made me laugh

What is a 'bay' in your hospital Unit ? Is that where they hold the men? Are men and women separated on your Units ?? Just wondering...

Nice you got to meet another forum member. I been trying to meet Terry for seven years but he keeps giving me excuses, but I think he secretly thinks I might bounce on him like prey too

Have fun ! I hope you get to break into the bay often

CCxox

Great story Dina but next time you meet Doug I hope it’s not in hospital.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Well done Dina. It would be great to get a visit in hospital from someone who is in a similar situation to you. A great boost for you both I'd imagine. Hope you are both home soon.

Mick.

Forum Member
    You were lucky that musical beds had finished for the day

In the last week I’ve been in bed 14 .11 and now bed 13

Congratulations on tracking your prey

Hi Dina and Douglas,

Great that you met each each other and Dina, but going by Douglas' bed hopping antics, you did well not to endear yourself to a complete stranger

On a separate note Dina; you said the wheelchair you're using is pretty uncomfortable - if they cannot provide a better option, I hope you're not in it for long at any one time, as the last thing you need is to get sores

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Dina and Douglas, great that you could meet. Dina I Ioved your story.

CC, wards are called bays here since modern buildings and others transformed into more open spaces. The staff are situated centrally, often with bays around or left and right of them. Some bays have doors, others do not, but have screens that can slide to make bigger wards etc

In the past mens and womens wards were totally separate. At the beginning of the NHS wards were long with beds either side, staff at the top near to the doots, sometimes in separate rooms. There was various numbers of beds but 60 or so wouldn't be unusual. Gradually over the years wards got smaller, less and less patients but still the genders separated, womens and mens wards. There's still a Womens Hospital in Liverpool. I had 2 of my 4 kids there.

Nowadays bed spaces are combined in one or another way. Wythenshawe obviously keep men and women patients separate. These will be rooms/bays nearby each other. Each bay has about 8 beds.

I was horrified recently to be placed in a bigger bay about 12 beds, but with both men and women in. I couldn't relax for my whole time there. I don't know what the powers that be are thinking of with this option. Any big changes like these are usually money saving strategies. Nurses are overworked and being central means that they can more easily keep an eye on things all around.
    Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 27th September 2019 at 14:52.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dis1960 View Post
    You were lucky that musical beds had finished for the day

In the last week Iíve been in bed 14 .11 and now bed 13

Congratulations on tracking your prey
    Ha ha ha,

It's a good job you didn't land in bed 13 when I was in it! Wouldn't that have caused a scandal? Hee hee hee.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.