Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unwanted equipment

Forum Member

Unwanted equipment

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea who I could give the equipment to that hubby used?

He had two walking frames, a wheeled commode, 4 elephant feet for the arm chair, 4 walking sticks, toilet frame with black seat, a small stool and a plastic caddy that goes on the walking frame.

I understand that the equipment is non-returnable, but I donít know where might take it. Surely it doesnít go to the tip?

If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Wailywoo

Hi Wailywoo,

You could ask in your local charity shops if they would like them; offer it on something like freecycle; ask if a local foodbank knows of anyone who might need it; or somewhere like Emmaus or a local charity helping the homeless.

I hope that helps you to decide what to do.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Hi Wailywoo;

I know a family that are well into recycling and do volunteer work for a charity. Maybe they will have some ideas of whats what in your area.

Love Terry

Wailwoo, if you can't find any local place for the equipment, there are charities who would love to take it overseas.

I give all my unneeded equipment (which my health service won't take back) to such a charity who bring it mainly to Africa, where our health services' rubbish can change lives - they were even grateful for a commode with a broken wheel.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Oh Ellie, you are the font of all knowledge and good ideas.

If you have a contact for the people who take the equipment abroad, I can’t think of a better cause for it.

I would love to help out there. They could have an unbroken commode that was only a couple of weeks old before he went into hospital. Our health service won’t take anything back only the electric bed, which they collected today and he never got to use :-(

Thank you very much for your reply.

Wailywoo x

Forum Member
    Thank you Terry, I am in the Crewe area, so if they are able come up with any ideas in this area, that could be good.

Thank you for your reply.

Wailywoo

Forum Member
    Hi Dina,

Thanks for your message and ideas. I have tried local charities and they don’t want any of it. Can’t believe they don’t take some of it back and give it a good clean up. No wonder the NHS is leaking money!

Thank you again,

Wailywoo

Oh I'm sorry Wailywoo but the charity I referred to is based in Dublin.

If you search online for 'Recycling Mobility Aids', a few places come up but they're not really near you in Crewe

Sometimes Lions Clubs organise collections and send out all sorts to a project they're linked with in Africa.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Wailywoo;

There are places around the country that do take some things, try this one and they might pass you on to someone closer or deal with it themselves:- https://livewellservices.cheshireeas...y-Aware-Wilmsl

Our collection of Mobility Aids include:
    - Bedroom Aids such as mattress protectors
    - Grab rails
    - Bed raisers and seat assists
    - Walking Aids such as walking frames, walking sticks, rollators and crutches
    - Bathroom Aids such as raised toilet seats, shower chairs, bath boards and commodes
    - Kitchen Aids such as trolleys, cutlery, crockery, utensils and other useful accessories
    - Personal Aids such as incontinence pads, dressing assistance, medication assistance and other useful accessories.

It doesn't say what they do with the items but it would be nice to know.

Don't know if you have any boxes of riluzole but I wouldn't mind any now at this uncertain time. Please PM me if you have.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Trip to Dublin then Ellie, is it? Never been.....hire a van and take it all there or fit it in the car.....that would be an adventure :-)

I will look at your link, Terry, thank you for all of the information.

Hubby tried the Riluzole, only took 2 tablets and had such.a bad reaction. They took the remaining ones back! So sorry, I would definitely have sent those if he had any. It is such a worrying time as far as medicines are concerned, especially Riluzole.

Thank you again,

Wailywoo x