• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wailywoo
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

Unwanted equipment

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea who I could give the equipment to that hubby used?

He had two walking frames, a wheeled commode, 4 elephant feet for the arm chair, 4 walking sticks, toilet frame with black seat, a small stool and a plastic caddy that goes on the walking frame.

I understand that the equipment is non-returnable, but I don’t know where might take it. Surely it doesn’t go to the tip?

If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Wailywoo
    Never take tomorrow for granted!
  • Gillette
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

Hi Wailywoo,

You could ask in your local charity shops if they would like them; offer it on something like freecycle; ask if a local foodbank knows of anyone who might need it; or somewhere like Emmaus or a local charity helping the homeless.

I hope that helps you to decide what to do.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Wailywoo;

I know a family that are well into recycling and do volunteer work for a charity. Maybe they will have some ideas of whats what in your area.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

Wailwoo, if you can't find any local place for the equipment, there are charities who would love to take it overseas.

I give all my unneeded equipment (which my health service won't take back) to such a charity who bring it mainly to Africa, where our health services' rubbish can change lives - they were even grateful for a commode with a broken wheel.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Wailywoo
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2019

Oh Ellie, you are the font of all knowledge and good ideas.

If you have a contact for the people who take the equipment abroad, I can’t think of a better cause for it.

I would love to help out there. They could have an unbroken commode that was only a couple of weeks old before he went into hospital. Our health service won’t take anything back only the electric bed, which they collected today and he never got to use :-(

Thank you very much for your reply.

Wailywoo x

Comment

• Wailywoo
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2019

Thank you Terry, I am in the Crewe area, so if they are able come up with any ideas in this area, that could be good.

Thank you for your reply.

Wailywoo

Comment

• Wailywoo
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2019

Hi Dina,

Thanks for your message and ideas. I have tried local charities and they don’t want any of it. Can’t believe they don’t take some of it back and give it a good clean up. No wonder the NHS is leaking money!

Thank you again,

Wailywoo

Comment

• Ellie
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2012

Oh I'm sorry Wailywoo but the charity I referred to is based in Dublin.

If you search online for 'Recycling Mobility Aids', a few places come up but they're not really near you in Crewe

Sometimes Lions Clubs organise collections and send out all sorts to a project they're linked with in Africa.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Love Ellie.
                Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2012

Hi Wailywoo;

There are places around the country that do take some things, try this one and they might pass you on to someone closer or deal with it themselves:- https://livewellservices.cheshireeas...y-Aware-Wilmsl

Our collection of Mobility Aids include:
                  - Bedroom Aids such as mattress protectors
                  - Grab rails
                  - Bed raisers and seat assists
                  - Walking Aids such as walking frames, walking sticks, rollators and crutches
                  - Bathroom Aids such as raised toilet seats, shower chairs, bath boards and commodes
                  - Kitchen Aids such as trolleys, cutlery, crockery, utensils and other useful accessories
                  - Personal Aids such as incontinence pads, dressing assistance, medication assistance and other useful accessories.

It doesn't say what they do with the items but it would be nice to know.

Don't know if you have any boxes of riluzole but I wouldn't mind any now at this uncertain time. Please PM me if you have.

Love Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Wailywoo
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2019

Trip to Dublin then Ellie, is it? Never been.....hire a van and take it all there or fit it in the car.....that would be an adventure :-)

I will look at your link, Terry, thank you for all of the information.

Hubby tried the Riluzole, only took 2 tablets and had such.a bad reaction. They took the remaining ones back! So sorry, I would definitely have sent those if he had any. It is such a worrying time as far as medicines are concerned, especially Riluzole.

Thank you again,

Wailywoo x

Comment

• Gillette
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2019

Terry, that's a really good point about Riluzole. I'm not sure, but I may have a few at home. When I get discharged home - at the moment it's likely to be Easter 2020 at the earliest, as mine is a Fast-Track CHC application (!) or Christmas 2021 if the application is downgraded to dead snail's pace - I will check if I have a stash and let you know.
                      Dina

Comment

• Barry52
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2012

Hi everyone,

Whilst I don’t wish to bump this thread I would like to comment about riluzole since it was mentioned. We had a talk yesterday at our branch meeting from the deputy director of care for MNDA. Following the talk I asked if the charity is brexit ready. The answer is that they are aware that some drugs including riluzole may be difficult to source (we know this from news reports) as they are manufactured in the EU. Coupled with the manufacturing issues earlier this year it makes perfect sense for any unused and in date riluzole that is no longer required, be made available to current users. This may prove logistically difficult but maybe the care centres can help. I know this goes against advice given regarding sharing medicine but it is a practical solution in the event of a “no deal”.

Barry
                        Last edited by Barry52; 11 October 2019, 10:53.
                        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• miranda
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2011

Dear Wailywoo here’s another suggestion. Yesterday we had a flyer “Give Unwanted Items a New Home”. It’s from Scope the disability charity and they will collect for free all sorts of stuff. scope.org.uk/furniture. 0800 0113 005 . Sounds as if you are keeping busy, hope you’re ok.

Comment

• Ellie
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Gillette View Post
                            When I get discharged home - at the moment it's likely to be Easter 2020 at the earliest...
                            I am lost for words, Dina.

Biggest hug ever.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Gillette
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                              I am lost for words, Dina.

Biggest hug ever.

Love Ellie.
                              You and me, both, Ellie. None of the doctors or other staff on the ward can believe it.

I cannot find the words to explain how difficult it is to avoid being totally subsumed by the deepest, darkest abyss. I can't praise the staff on the ward enough for their care and support.

Thank you for the hug - I need all the hugs I can get at the moment.
                              Dina

Comment

Working...
                              X