Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limbs suddenly much heavier. Need tips to cheer me up!

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah,
    I am pleased you had a good day yesterday, and you bought some things for yourself. Yes, we have to try and do normal things the best way we can. I hope you have a good weekend and please stay in touch.
    Sheila x

Forum Member
    Hi Hayls
    Yes I agree what a great thread to start. I like your comment about finding something to smile about everyday. I am going to do that now., it's no good feeling down everyday. I see you live in Bournemouth, a lovely part of the country.
    Best wishes
    Sheila x

Forum Member
    Itís so lovely reading all your messages, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences - & your wisdom.

I had a nasty fall tonight- fell backwards, cracking my head on the floor- yikes. It then took me & my wife a monumental effort to get me into a chair, but we managed eventually. Now nursing a sore head & headache- as opposed to a glass of wine which Iím normally nursing on a Friday evening!! :-)

Very many congratulations on your wedding, Hayls!!

Have a great weekend everyone. xx

Forum Member
    Ouch, a fall of any kind can have a huge impact in not only physically but emotionally, so glad you and your hero of a wife dusted yourself off and I certainly hope your both taking things easy to recover from what happened, love the comment about your usual Friday evening lol my hubby had to rescue me when I get wedged between the side of the bed and the wall and one leg had got lodged under the bed, luckily my EL still has me laughing so for the following hour between the both of us hysterically laughing I was eventually freed, so glad your in one piece, I always call my other half my hero and he says Iím his, teamwork
    Hello Shelia, Bournemouth is not bad but itís true that usually you donít appreciate what you have, I donít like the beach I prefer woodland but itís got some nice people lol

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah,
    Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you are ok now. Quite a few people on here have had bad falls. We must try and be more careful. But it is hard adjusting to everything.
    Take care
    Sheila x

Forum Member
    Hi Sarah,

So sorry to hear about your fall. It's so easily done and it really knocks our confidence ( and it hurts !!) Hope you're feeling better today.

Take Care,
    Love Debbie x

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad you enjoyed your shopping trip to M&S and your new scooter enables you to get out and about safely.

I always enjoy a bit (ok, I admit - a lot!) of retail therapy. I don't own a scooter but my local shopping centre hires them and I also have an electric wheelchair which helps me to get out and about sometimes.

I find that even popping out for a little while can help to cheer me up! Now the weather is getting colder, I'm looking to find more accessible places to visit that are indoors.

I have found the 'Rough Guide to Accessible Britain' handy for planning trips out. Just in case it's useful for you, I have provided a link to the relevant webpage on the Motability website (where the Guide can be viewed and downloaded from):-
    http://https://www.motability.co.uk/news/rough-guide-to-accessible-britain/

I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Just a thought - if your OT or physiotherapist hasn't done so already, he or she should be able to get something like a rollator for you.

Although 4 wheeled rollators are more sturdy, I find that using one with 3 wheels (also called a tri-walker) more suitable for indoors, as it fits in more easily around my home, including in the 'smallest room'. However, your OT should know which mobility aids are most suitable for your needs.

Also, OTs can sometimes arrange for grabs rails to be put up.

I hope you are recovering from your fall and you and your wife had a lovely weekend.

Best wishes to you both.
    Love Kayleigh x

Hi Sarah, how's your head? I did similar a few weeks ago. Scary indeed. I too have a hero but I got up eventually through team work. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    My head is a little tender but otherwise fine - think I must have a very thick skull!!

Today we had an alert system installed whereby I wear a buzzer which summons help if I need it. Sue (my wife) has one she can use to get help for me too. Mine even has fall detection technology which detects if I have a bad fall & automatically sends the alert - how clever! Itís given us some peace of mind anyway.

Great idea about a 3-wheeled rollator for indoors. Iíve got a 4 wheeler for out & about which I had to pay a bit for, but can have a 3 wheeler for free so Iím going to request one. Pronto!

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Nos da (as we say here in Wales!) xx

Noswaith dda Sarah,

It's good to hear that you are feeling much better, after your recent fall.

I think it's a good that you can be provided with a rollator because it should help to keep you safer, especially if you aren't currently using any mobility aids indoors. I used a walking stick for a while but, when I lost my balance and had a fall, I realised that a rollator would be much better for me - and I think that some have a tray attachment, as well as a bag or basket, which can be quite useful.

Thanks for kindly letting us know about the alert system you have. It sounds very impressive, especially as it includes a feature to automatically detect falls.

Sending very best wishes to you and Sue (and a friendly pat on the head for each of your two lovely dogs).

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 16th October 2019 at 22:35.