• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kayleigh
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2018

Good morning Doug,

It's good to hear that your shoulder is much less painful than it was.

Please take extra care of yourself and I hope you are completely free of pain very soon.

Love
    Kayleigh x

Comment

• miranda
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2011

Terry is home!! Dina would agree this is something to celebrate.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
        Forum Member
        • May 2017

MNDA supporters

I’ve been feeling a bit low recently – a combination of Dina’s death, shoulder pain, weight loss and the insidious assault of MND on my mobility. But this morning I opened my winter edition of Thumb Print and especially the 2020 events guide.

All these amazing people doing incredible things for us!

We are not alone.

Doug
        Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Lynne K
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2017

I hope that you pick up soon Doug. I've had my Thumbprint around for about 2 weeks awaiting my attention. I haven't felt like reading it yet, mostly because I've had my head into books that I've been reading. I've got through several recently, I have one on the go and I'm thinking
          what to start next. These are my go to distraction and most are very enjoying and engaging. Love Lynne
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Deb
            Forum Member
            • May 2018

Would love to know what you're reading Lynne.. it's my favourite thing !

Hope you continue to feel a little better each day Doug. It's really hard isn't it to get back on an even keel after a setback or a decline and I know how you were close to Dina.

My good news is we made it to Spain! We had a technical fault, a storm and a flight diversion but thanks to fantastic special assistance we got here and its lovely and sunny.

The not so good news is that I am undergoing tests for another pulmonary embolism, in which case we cant fly home for a good few weeks. I have all my medical notes translated and my lovely consultant has been e mailing me so we can google translate it. I am just waiting on a CT scan.

After many Spanish lessons I can order a seafood paella with a small wine and a beer. I can even ask for a taxi or a cheap, green dress but I cant explain to doctor that I have MND and I think I have a blood clot. I've been doing the wrong course !

Love to everyone and reading recommendations would be really appreciated,
            Debbie x

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Oh my days, Debbie - your outbound journey sounds horrific, a lesser person (i.e., me) would have given up!!

And now the clot may be back, sorry to hear this but glad that you knew the signs and you're being looked after. Hopefully you won't be long waiting for the CT scan.

Enjoy the bit of warmth!

Love Ellie.
              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Sheila
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2019

Oh dear Debbie, you are having a right mixed up holiday. I hope everything gets sorted for you. And you can enjoy your break away.
                Love Sheila

Comment

• Jacquij
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2020

I am normally an active person and love to avoid being indoors so I don’t have to do boring tasks like housework although that is really quiet impossible at the moment. I have just discovered at our local country park you can hire a great tramper scooter which loves going over grass, muddy paths and best of all, big muddy puddles. My family despair of me but it is ‘such fun’

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

Oh Debbie, I hope that you're embolism melts away quickly, and that the hospital sort out either a translator or a medical professional who speaks English.

About my reading. I've just read three books that were not my usual. These were given to me: two were written by Kasuo Ishiguro, Remains of the Day and Never let me go. I must say that I don't want to read anything like these again. I felt obliged because Steve got them for me. The other book given to me was Jane Harper The Lost Man. This was slow but interesting, set in the outback of Australia, a good mystery about an unexplained death. There was an unexpected ending on this one. I usually read either non fiction, a recent one The Secret Barrister. Or I read fast paced thrillers, mostly associated with crime of one sort or another. I'll put my ipad kindle on later and copy a list of my recent reads, too many for me to remember titles. I'm looking forward to getting back to those gripping tales.

Love Lynne x
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

• Lynne K
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2017

Sounds good about the tramper Jaqui. I hope that your fun continues. Lynne x

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

Jacqui, you go girl There is nothing like the great outdoors to make one feel alive.

My dog would be a perfect companion for your outings - she loves to get as muddy as possible and is great at finding the deepest puddles

Enjoy the Tramper days !

Love Ellie.
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Deb
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2018

I am not sure this should be under the good news thread but I feel very lucky to be reclined in my powerchair in the Spanish sunshine, so it seems the right place.

The health care in Spain has been fantastic and they admitted me for tests, whilst being very understanding about MND. The CT scan showed a small pulmonary embolism so we cant fly home for 4 to 6 weeks. At least I think that's what was said !! There was lots of Google translate going on our phones and pictures being drawn.

I am lucky enough to have the same mobility equipment here and our children are hoping to come out to see us.

Hope other people have good news soon,
                          Love Debbie x

Comment

• Terry
                            Forum Member
                            • May 2012

Hi Deb,

Like the idea of laying back enjoying the sunshine and good to hear that you have received good health treatment out there.

Hope they are wrong about the small pulmonary embolism or it's soon sorted.

Love Terry
                            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2017

I seem to have successfully brought a new desktop computer (Windows 10) into use in place of my old Windows 7 machine, which is about as slow as I am. This involved transferring over 100Gb of data.

Also, at long last, the pain in my left shoulder, damaged in a fall, is easing. Fingers crossed!

Doug
                              Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Terry
                                Forum Member
                                • May 2012

Hi Doug;

I'm still on windows 7. Pleased to hear that your pains are easing, I have had a lot of neck/shoulder pain and stiffness but like you it is a lot better now. Still have bad lower back pains but it's nice to have one area improve.

Love Terry
                                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X