Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty walking in the house

Forum Member
    I have just had a horrid experience. Yesterday my walking improved indoors and i wasn't using the Zimmer frame. It gave me the confidence to try and get in my car and go for a scenic drive. I hoped that would then give me the confidence to drive today to my weekly supermarket food shop. I went, but found it difficult getting my walking frame out of the boot of my car. A member of staff got me a trolley but, as I walked around and did my shopping I felt my balance and right leg strength worsening. A member of staff assisted me back to my car and I struggled to get my walking frame back in the boot, so she had to do it. Once I got home I struggled to walk up my sloping driveway with a crutch. I eventually did but then it was a massive event getting my shopping out of the boot of my car ( I used my newly supplied indoor trolley but it was very difficult getting it up and down my doorstep). So , a positive attitude to the day kicked back by MND and my worsening balance and right leg strength. As stated before, I now have no confidence to negotiate my sloping driveway to get in and out of my car. And I have lost my confidence to get my walking frame in and out of my car boot. I was hoping my shop would give me the confidence to drive to my mum's care home to visit her. But MND has made sure it has destroyed any confidence. I am at the initial stages and it is so difficult living on my own with it. I am terrified of my future.

Dear Panniertank,
    I am so sorry to hear about your ongoing difficulties and concerns in relation to your mobility problems.
    From your previous post, I understand that your physiotherapist takes the lead with mobility aids. But given the difficulties and challenges you are facing, it really is essential that you seek guidance from an occupational therapist in order to seek advice and support in relation to staying safe in your home environment. If you do not currently have an occupational therapist, your GP could make a referral on your behalf.
    Kind regards
    Ruth

Hi Panniertank, Ruths advise is great from MNDA so good luck with those suggestions.

I think that you need a powered wheelchair and if your arms and hands are ok then a WAV that you can drive to your car with, drive into the back or side of your car and then after securing your wheelchair transfer to the drivers seat. Suitable new WAVs might have a whopping expense down payment (such as 10,000) but there may be nearly new WAVs available with a more manageable down payment. As soon as you get a powered wheelchair and suitable ramp to get you over the threshold of your home you could get a wheelchair assessable taxi or dial-a-ride disability bus to do your shopping and other stuff while you decide about which WAV to get. These options might suit you now on good days if you can get down your drive with a walker. Look at Topro walkers. I feel much more stable with mine. It has a good seat so you could rest your bad leg and it might give it more strength for you to carry on. My physio ordered my Topro 4 wheeled walker after I sent her a link.

Take care,
    Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Thank you Ruth and Lynne. I do have an OT as part of my MND clinic. She has been very helpful and visited me last week. She mentioned things like powered wheelchairs or scooters but my home still hasn't been adapted to be wheelchair accessible and getting quotes etc is taking ages because the builders and the careandrepair charity are maxed out. And something the OT and careandrepair surveyor have mentioned a lot is difficulties with ramp access due to various issues such as the size of my front door and sloping driveway etc.

Hi Panniertank, sounds like you need to have your front door frame widened and a suitable easy to open door ie automatically opening by clicking an associated key fob. Also you need that any internal doors and back door of your home that are not wide enough for a wheelchair and/or need another ramp to be adapted. Would threshold ramps do the job if you have door access widened? Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

For ideas Panniertank look at

theramppeople.co.uk/wheelchairramps

I couldn't manage to copy a hyperlink so can you type this address into your browser.
    Good luck, Lynne

Do you know the name of the charity for your profession ?if so you could apply for assistance ,see if they could get you a stand chair, to stand you up right

Forum Member
    Hi Streetwise, thank you for your response. My OT is arranging a riser recliner chair. I have never been aware of a charity for my former profession and I have been retired for the last 3 years. My current problem is that my walking and balance have suddenly worsened so I haven't got the confidence to get out of my house. As stated before , my driving is totally normal but I haven't got the confidence to walk the short distance to and from my car door on my sloping driveway. And I can't get the 4 wheel walking frame in and out of the boot etc.

to be honest we wouldn’t of known my mothers if we didn’t get a free magazine called The Law Gazette Because she was a member of the Law Society, it’s one very small charity that had one tiny advert in the magazine but it helps and has been helping people in the law in the UK for years, A lot of charities do not advertise in the media.