Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: any advice please

Hi Tapg1

Twitching is something that can be felt and is something that is experienced by about 70% of the population. For the majority of those people the twitching is caused by stress and anxiety.

Fasiculations are a rippling under the skin which can be seen.

People with MND can experience sweating as their ability to regulate their temperature can be affected. However, it is a more unusual symptom and something that tends to happen later in the disease. It is also something that can be caused by many other things other than MND. Retching wouldn't usually be considered a symptom of MND.

Are you concerned that you may have MND?

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Forum Member
    Hi Rachel, Thank you for the reply. Yes lm very concerned that l have MND. I've had a neurological exam which stated unremarkable exam on 19th Sept but l do know that doesn't rule out MND, am l right in saying that? I'm so worried😭. Can l ask what are the most common symptoms and the average age of onset. Does it cause pain? I'm lost as to know where to go from here! Is twitching when you can see and feel? I feel my muscles are popping everywhere in my body, legs, thighs, arms, bum, face even in my head. Would you have more symptoms apart from fasciculation/twitching also? Thank you Rachel.

Forum Member
    Can l also ask Rachel does it cause rapid weight loss even if you are still eating?

Hi Tapg1

Twitching on it's own would not normally be considered a symptom of MND.

MND can cause weight loss but so can many other things and again, you would expect to see other symptoms.

It might be helpful if you were to give us a call on 0808 802 6262. We can talk through your concerns with you. It's often easier to talk them through in person rather than via email or the forum.

Rachel

Forum Member
    Can l call you now Rachel

Forum Member
    How would you know if you had muscle wasting between your thumb and index finger? What would you need to look out for....lm so worried and afraid.

Hi Tapg1

It was nice to speak to you this morning. I am sorry that you are still worried.

As we discussed this morning, if you had muscle wastage, you would know. Muscle wastage can be seen and is not an initial symptom of MND. If someone had muscle wastage between their thumb and index finger, they would be really struggling to use that hand. Muscle wastage usually appears after someone has had problems with that part of the body for a while.

As I said in our call, the symptoms that you are experiencing are not typical symptoms of MND.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Hi TapG1, if first finger and thumb are weak because of the lack of muscle tone and/or loss of some control your pinch grip wouldn't be very good. I had this. It wasn't the first of my symptoms but started before I was diagnosed.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Lynne K thank you...lm just so worried and lm thinking of everything now...The muscle twitching and fasciculations are realky frightening me and a lot of people have comment on how much weight l lost. I hope your doing ok Lynne K and having a good day. What were your first symptoms?

Forum Member
    Rachel, Thank you for listening to me this morning and answering my questions, some probably silly ones! You were so kind, caring and very considerate towards towards me, excellent at your job. I'm just so scared and afraid of the twitching and fasciculations, and pins and needles. I'm going to try and get another apt with my neurologis l'll keep you posted Rachel and thanks again for this morning.