• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broostine93
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

What Now?

Hi,

Are there any communication devices that aren't 'techy' (i.e. ipad) that aren't just the standard spelling boards?

We're getting close to the point now where writing things down will not be a viable option and I don't think anything gadget-y will be taken to very willingly.

Thank you!
    "This, too, shall pass"
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Would your Gran's hands be good enough to type, Chrissie?

There is something called a Lightwriter - here is a short video of it in use:

There are lots of low-tech printable communication boards available online. You'd probably have to do a bit of research to find which ones would best suit your Gran, then print out some and laminate them (or make your own)

This is an example of what I mean:

Has she access to an SLT?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
      Forum Member
      • May 2012

Hi Broostine,

She has got the option of using some sort of tech thing and being able to communicate with most people or using boards type thing which is slow and limited to who you can communicate with.

Some tech is a bit simpler than tablet computers but a lot more expensive. You probably have a tablet that you can download a talking app for her to try.

Lightwiter's are a bit simpler than tablets.

Get the speech therapist involved as they might be help with things and ideas.

Love Terry
      Last edited by Terry; 30 October 2019, 12:15.
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Broostine93
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

Hi Both,

Thank you for replying

The Lightwriter looks good- I'll have to suggest it and see what the response is. Failing that, it'll have to be the communication boards, I guess.

I tried a tablet with a speech app a few weeks back with Gran- she wasn't interested in it at all, unfortunately (I'm not surprised- she wouldn't/couldn't even learn how to use the simplest of mobile phones!)

To be honest, the SLT is rubbish. She hasn't been around for 3 weeks- even then, she's only just been 'forced' into advising the nursing home that Gran needs pureed food (after she'd been choking on nearly every mouthful of food for about 2 months beforehand and only even then because I phoned the palliative team with a massive list of concerns). The SLT has done nothing other than to say 'just continue doing what you're doing', regarding Gran's speech (even though she's been barely legible for weeks). It got to the point where Gran was so 'pressured/upset' by the SLT that the SLT told her she had a 'bad attitude' and Gran had to write to her to stop bullying her (I'm never there for the SLT visits as she goes during the day when I am at work, so I can't see what her behaviour is really like).

Thank you both for your suggestions It's good to know there's a couple of options to try
        "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

• MNDConnect
          Forum Moderator
          • Mar 2016

Hi Broostine

Ellie and Terry have given some really good suggestions. A lightwriter is quite simple to use and can be a really effective way to communicate that uses technology but isn't difficult to learn to use.

I'm not sure what your Gran's hand dexterity is like. There is an aid called a Boogie Board which is a bit like an electronic note pad. You use a stylus to write on it and can click a button and it erases what you've written.

With your Gran's permission, we'd be happy to speak to her SLT to help them to provide a suitable communication aid. We do have lightwriters which we can loan and if one would be suitable for your Gran then we'd certainly be happy to speak to the SLT to help her to organise this.

Best Wishes
          Rachel
          MND Connect Adviser
          MND Connect
          Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Broostine93
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2019

Hi Rachel,

It would be brilliant if you guys could speak to her SLT to suggest communication aids. I think the lightwriter might be a hit. What details do you need from me?

Thank you
            "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

• MNDConnect
              Forum Moderator
              • Mar 2016

Hi Broostine

Please could you send me the SLT's name and telephone number by email to [email protected] or give me a ring on 0808 802 6262.

If your Gran is happy for me to know her name and address, that would be helpful as well please and I'll ring the SLT this afternoon.

Best Wishes
              Rachel
              MND Connect Adviser
              MND Connect
              Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• miranda
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2011

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested - type out a list of often used phrases for Gran to,point to. Also I think MNDA have a fact sheet about this (I suspect Kayleigh will be good at accessing it).

Comment

• Kayleigh
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2018

This is a link to the MNDA's Understanding My Needs booklet (which I think Miranda is referring to?):-

http://https://static.mndassociation.org/app/uploads/2017/05/19135707/understanding-my-needs-interactive.pdf

And 'Amy's Speech Therapy' website which includes downloadable communication boards:-

http://https://www.amyspeechlanguagetherapy.com/communication-boards.html

Best wishes
                  Kayleigh

Comment

• Broostine93
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2019

Thanks, guys

Rachel- I've PM'd you directly.

Miranda- I'd not even thought about doing something as simple as that (brain has a way of blocking out the simplest of solutions sometimes, doesn't it?)

Kayleigh- Those boards are brilliant, thank you

Thank you all so much
                    "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Broostine93 View Post
                      Thanks, guys

Kayleigh- Those boards are brilliant, thank you

Thank you all so much
                      Hi Broostine and Ellie,

I'm glad you found the website useful. I can't take all the credit though because I found out about the 'Amy's Speech Therapy' website from Ellie (who posted about it earlier this year) - and so many thanks to Ellie from me too!

Love
                      Kayleigh x

Comment

• Ellie
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2012

Well, I wasn't going to say, Kayleigh xx
                        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Terry
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2012

Now, now girls, put your handbags and nails away and be friends. LOL

Hi Broostine;

I think that you can still get talking things that will store five short sentences, with five buttons. You can record anything on it. Might be handy, just a thought.

Love Terry
                          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                            Well, I wasn't going to say, Kayleigh xx
                            .... I wouldn't mind if you had said! - because ....

in the words of Whitney Houston "I learned from the best!"

Or, in the words of Comedienne Kayleigh "You are the fountain of all knowledge and I am the field of all varieties of corn" LOL

Hugs
                            Kayleigh x

Comment

• Broostine93
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2019

Hi Terry,

That's another great idea- thank you

I spoke to my Gran last night about the communication boards and the Lightwriter. She seems open to both (with a resounding 'but not yet!'), which is good news. As suspected, the idea of a tablet/ipad was swiftly shot down, but it's nice to be able to throw some options out there
                              "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

Working...
                              X