Thread: OTs: signs of the times

Forum Member

OTs: signs of the times

Hi,

I'm in Edinburgh and all our long-term OTs have been taken away ("reorganised"). I am most dismayed by this; for 3 years an OT has been essential, pretty much a key worker, and invaluable in helping me to tackle problems before they become critical.
    Now I can get an OT, short-term, by referral but there is no continuity, is reactive rather than proactive and leaves me doing more (with the help of an MND nurse) to actually sort things myself. It's austerity of course, and I don't see it changing.
    I'm just posting this so others know it's possible.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thatís a dreadful state of affairs. My OT is brilliant - I canít imagine having to cope with MND without her.

People have cited the Scottish healthcare system as a beacon of excellence but they only talk about the good bits - they donít mention the essential services that are being cut or axed.

I hope your MND nurse is able to give you adequate support.
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

I'm sorry to hear that Kate. As you say, the OT is often the key worker in a community team and to remove their regular input defies logic, as well as economic sense because being proactive is usually cheaper than firefighting....

If you ever find yourself in need of an OT and getting nowhere, do try the OT in your local hospice or your MND Clinic.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks both of you, and yes, those who praise Scotland's health and social care provision are probably seeing only part of the picture. I simply couldn't have managed appropriate housing and equipment without an OT, whom I saw every 6-8 weeks and who knew me. Now we may have to start from scratch each time, and the likelihood is that whatever is saved in this area will be transferred as a cost to some other area. It's worth remembering the hospice of course.