Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes are afoot.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne,
    Sorry to hear about your fall, it just shows how easy it is to lose balance and then fall. I hope you are feeling a Bit better now.
    Keep safe,
    Sheila x

Thanks Sheila. Yes, it is easy to forget about being careful with balancing, especially when you are distracted by something.

The back of my head is a little sore to the touch but ok otherwise. I'm seriously worried when walking. So I'm sitting almost all of the time, Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne ,

So sorry about your fall and I really hope you feel better today. Falling is so scary, undignified and it makes us feel so vulnerable. Rubbish !

When I was still walking using my rollator my hubby used to walk behind me incase I fell so he could catch me and lower me to the floor. I realised (reluctantly and after alot of thought) I would be safer, happier and more independent using my powerchair. I am not thinking this is for everyone or you can just use it when you're on your own or tired.its a really hard balance and a huge blow to give up walking.

I hope you feel better soon. A fall really hits us hard !

Love and hugs
    Debbie x

Debbie, the idea of using my powered wheelchair when I'm on my own has never occurred to me. So thank you. It's a smashing idea. I'll put it to St) ve when he comes back in. He's out teaching (science) at the moment. He'll have to take all of his stuff off it before I can get to it. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne

Sorry to hear that you had a bad fall.

Like Debbie, I use my powerchair much more than I used to. I realise that it's not always practical or easy to use a powerchair in every room of our home but we should be kind to ourselves by doing what we can to keep ourselves as safe and as comfortable as possible.

I'm sure your OT means well with her advice but using our powerchair instead of a walker is sometimes the safest and most sensible option for us.

I worry about you having more falls and so it's good to hear you are going to ask Steve to move his bits and pieces from the seat of your powerchair - then, at least, your powerchair will be available for you to use whenever you wish to.

I hope you feel better soon.

Love
    Kayleigh x

Thanks Kayleigh, Lynne x

Sorry to hear about your fall, Lynne,

It's so easy to have your brain say, that's easy and you do it.

Don't forget, a weighted walker is generally much more stable and if you have trouble gripping, sometimes keeping the brakes locked on works

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Sorry to hear about your fall, Lynne. It sounded scary but you managed not to panic much - good on you. Of course a fall will knock your confidence and you don't need that....

Yes, I also think it'd be wise (and safe) to use your powerchair when you're on your own, or if Steve is honking ZZZZZs in bed!!

Take care.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Thanks Terry and Ellie. Terry, there's always weight in my walker. This is mostly a light 4 wheeled walker sometimes my favourite Topro 4 when walker but that's too big around our flat. Although I'm seriously tempted to use it despite it's bulk. But the walker wasn't the cause of my fall. It was my own stupidity when I took both of my hands of the walker to take an unruly fleece blanket off my walker and put it on the back of a chair. As I lifted it I fell back. I'd tried previously to lift it with one hand but it was too heavy and unruly to do. I'm usually sitting down when I move the blanket but I'd moved towards the door and had forgotten about it until I got near to the door, beside a small armchair.

I fell in our wet-room a couple of days earlier because of the same stupid reason. I was walking towards the door, was close to it (very small room) when I decided to stop, take both hands off the walker to yank up my leggings a bit more. As I said stupidity. You'd think that it would have learned that lesson by now : KEEP AT LEAST ONE HAND ON SOMETHING STABLE, SUCH AS THE WALKER. The capitals are for me and not you. I must try to do this all of the time.

I'm off now to watch the Liverpool game (on TV).

Lynne x

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    ... You'd think that [I] would have learned that lesson by now
    Oh Lynne, you've been hanging around with Barry for too long

Enjoy the game.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.