• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LesleyJ
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2019

Panic attacks

my Mam has progressive bulbar MND and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Her breathlessness is getting worse. She couldn’t breathe on Saturday and we rang an ambulance who said it was a panic attack as she couldn’t get her breath. Her oxygen levels were fine but it was terrifying. She has just had another one and I followed the nurse guidance and have calmed her down with getting her to copy my breathing. She is now sleeping (with me watching her). Any advice would be great please as this is so frightening.
  • MNDConnect
    Forum Moderator
    • Mar 2016

Hi Lesley

This must be very frightening for both you and your mam. Does anything in particular seem to trigger the attacks?

Does she become breathless because of the attacks or is she breathless even when she is calm?

There are medications which can be prescribed that can be given to someone if they are feeling panicked and are struggling to calm down. They are taken only when they are needed and it can sometimes be a reassurance just to know that you have them around if they are needed.

Rachel
    MND Connect
    Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• LesleyJ
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2019

Hi Rachael

Thanks for responding. her breathing is getting worse. Today’s happened just as she had taken her dietary drink shot which she absolutely hates. She was gagging and was almost sick. She then started fighting for breath.

Comment

• MNDConnect
        Forum Moderator
        • Mar 2016

Hi Lesley

Is the dietary drink shot a supplementary drink that she drinks slowly or is it a quick shot of something? It sounds as though this may have been the trigger. Has she had a recent swallowing assessment? Does she ever cough whilst she's eating or drinking or is she feed through a feeding tube?

Rachel
        MND Connect

Comment

• MNDConnect
          Forum Moderator
          • Mar 2016

Sorry, I'm bombarding you with questions. I'm happy to give you a call to discuss this if you'd like to. Please just private message me your telephone number. Or please feel free to give us a call on 0808 802 6262. We are here until 5pm.

Rachel
          MND Connect

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Hi Lesley;

I guess your mum hasn't a feeding tube and her dietitian has given her some drinks.

There are lots of different drinks from a few different companies. Also some are smaller and more concentrated which can be hard to take for some people. Maybe contact the person and get some different drinks.

I assume that she is finding it difficult eating normal foods but she might find that modifying the food texture etc.

Her doctor could provide some drug to help with anxiety etc. Try to make sure she breaths out fully and try's to relax.

If she does need from medical staff, Question, Question if they put her on oxygen for any length of time because mostly O2 is not good for Mnd people.

I used to get panicky because I would suddenly wake up not being able to breath at all and had to rethink breathing and try to relax and not panic.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Oh Lesley, that's hard for both of you.

Without wanting to bombard you!! But, as a short term measure, what about mixing that shot into her favourite yoghurt, chocoolate mousse, custard etc. to make it more palatable?

As Rachel said, maybe a feeding tube could be discussed and also breathing assistance, if that's what your mother wants.

Love Ellie.
              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Sheila
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2019

Hi Lesley
                I suffer from panic attacks attacks As well. And they are scary. I do choke sometimes on different food and drink . People around your mum should remain calm, and help her to relax.
                I had a peg fitted 2 weeks ago, and definitely helps with feeding. Something to think about.
                Take care
                Sheila

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Hi Sheila,

If there were a Like button on the Forum, I'd have Liked your post - lovely to read your advice.

Love Ellie.
                  ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Sheila
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2019

Hi Ellie,
                    Thanks Ellie, you know I have learnt from the best.
                    Hugs
                    Sheila

Comment

• Deb
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2018

That's another "like " from me for your post Sheila.

You have inspired me to pluck up the courage to ask about a PEG at my clinic visit in the New Year. It hasn't been mentioned to me but I have been reading all the advice about getting one sooner rather than later.

Thank you,
                      Love Debbie x

Comment

• Gillette
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2019

Lesley, I’m sorry your mum is having panic attacks - they are horrid to suffer but also for loved ones to witness. You are doing a great job supporting your mum.

Sheila’s post hits the spot. Well done, Sheila, and I’m pleased that you are finding the PEG so helpful.
                        Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Sheila
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2019

Thank you Deb and Dina, I am still getting use to the peg, it's only been two weeks, but I notice my chewing and swallowing have got worse. So I reckon just in the Nick of time. Now to try and put on some weight.
                          I hope you all have a good Christmas.

Love Sheila x

Comment

• LesleyJ
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2019

Thank you all so much for your responses.

They are the little plastic strawberry drinks provided by the dietician. She absolutely hates them. I suggested that she might want to think about the Peg tube but it was a definite ‘no not yet ‘ from her, I explained that it could make things easier and you can still eat normally if you can.

Onwards and upwards xx

Comment

• Kayleigh
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2018

Hello Lesley,

I found those small bottled drinks tasted too unpleasant and the consistency was too thick for me to swallow comfortably and it made me cough. (However, some MND patients might find it easier to swallow drinks that are of a thicker consistency than water or milk).

I find that Complan mixed with milk tastes very pleasant and is suitable for my needs. I bought a box of Complan to try but my GP now prescribes Complan sachets for me (and he very kindly asked what flavours I prefer, so he can put them on the prescription).

Perhaps Complan would suit your mum better? If she likes the taste of Complan (or similar) but the consistency isn't thick enough then a thickener for drinks can be added.

Love
                              Kayleigh x
                              Last edited by Kayleigh; 19 December 2019, 11:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X