Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non evasive ventilation

Forum Member
    I had a very similar problem, sudefed nose unblocker nasal spray works very quickly to keep it clear which was a life saver for me, hope it works for her

Forum Member
    Thanks Hayls

Hi Lesley,

I wonder how your mother is getting on with her NIV?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, how kind of you to ask. She is doing ok, she has a sore nose and it hurts the back of her head but I have added a think strip of cotton wool stuck on with Vaseline. her breathing is deteriorating and she had a very bad panic attack last night and I had to ring 999 as she couldnít breathe. She has a prescription for some lorazepam that she is to put under her tongue when she has an attack but I cannot find a pharmacy that stocks them (I think I could do with one!). The nippy is good so hopefully things will improve. I hope you are ok Ellie and thanks again x

The DIY solution of a cotton pad and Vaseline sounds good Lesley, if your mam's skin tolerates it and it doesn't cause air leaks. It's best not to let the Vaseline touch the mask rubber or it'll degenerate.

Her community nurse should be able to provide dressings for her sore nose, if needed - something like Comfeel Plus are good for healing already broken skin, or Duoderm Thins/Extra Thins for cushioning.

Is the strap bulky or crossed over at the back of her head or too tight, I wonder. They are usually comfortable, so your mam may need to just try different strap size or type?

She is lucky to have you!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Thanks for those tips Ellie, I will ask him on Monday when he comes. X

Hello Lesley, we use Aderma, dermal pads to go under the mask strap on hubbies neck. It's a thick jelly like pad.
    The district nurses have been very good for stuff for his nose and neck.
    Last night he had Cosmopor E and a cushion like Mepilex strip for good measure on his nose.
    A silky scarf under the strap on his neck helped before the dressings.
    Good luck x

Forum Member
    Thanks MMW, great tips, will have a go x