• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Dina RIP

Friends

I am sorry to be the bearer of terrible news.

The world has suddenly become a poorer, darker place – our brave, vibrant, mischievous Dina has left us.

She died at 5.47 today, with her partner and loving family around her. Her son asked me if I would pass on the awful news.

Dina was diagnosed on 16th November 2018 and joined this Forum on 30th March 2019. We have all witnessed here her great kindness and concern for others, offering sympathy and sound advice, sometimes laced with perfectly judged humour. She always tried to look on the bright side, to make the best of things and encourage us to do the same. It was typical that the Celebrate the Good Things thread was her idea.

But her concern for people was far wider than this forum. She was especially active in helping the Syrian people. She was a marvellously creative craftswoman and used her skills to make clothes and children’s toys which were distributed in Syria and in refugee camps across Europe by charities she was involved with.

I got to know her only very recently, when we exchanged PMs initially as a way of easing her boredom in hospital. Her admission to Wythenshawe hospital became protracted due to difficulties around CHC funding. The staff on the ward, who loved her, rallied round and eventually a solution emerged. But the stress of not knowing when she would be able to go home certainly caused the rate of progression of her MND to increase.

Nevertheless, she continued to participate in the MIROCALS trial and other research in the hope that it would eventually benefit others. She also sought out other MND patients on the ward, to offer a friendly ear.

And as recently as the last few days of December she was contributing posts here that were full of helpful information, sympathy and encouragement to her fellow forum members.

She had a brilliant mind and wrote beautifully on many topics in which we shared an interest.

Our condolences go to Peter and her family.

Forgive me. I am too upset to write more.

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017
  • Sheila
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2019

I am to shocked for words!! I don't what to say. I thought she was getting on better. Such a lovely person, always kind and helpful.
    Condolences to Peter and family
    Sheila

Comment

• Deb
      Forum Member
      • May 2018

So very sad and shocked to read this terrible news.

Dina was such an eloquent, kind and funny lady. Even when she was going through very dark times she had the ability to make us laugh on the forum and her positivity shone through. Until very recently she was helping and encouraging others on here and I am not surprised to read she was involved with other charities.

Thank you Doug for letting us know in such a sensitive manner.

Condolences to Dina's family and to Peter.
      RIP Dina
      Love Debbie x

Comment

• ccinjersey

My condolences to Dina's family. Wishing them much love, comfort and strength during the difficult days ahead.

Dina will be terribly missed on the forum, she was a bright light here.

Thank you Doug for sharing that lovely tribute to Dina she sounded like a very special lady indeed

CCxox

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Hi Doug,

I am sorry to hear the news about Dina - I know you were friends with her and I can understand why you're upset.

I ws fortunate enough to say Farewell to the lovely lady 2 days ago and, even though she knew she had very little time left, she was as eloquent, thoughtful and caring as ever - a true reflection of the person she was.

Condolences to Peter and to her family and a big hug to you, Doug.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• anxious1
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2019

As recently as a few weeks ago, this kind lady was reassuring me about my own worries on a thread I started.

Although I didn’t know her she took time to reassure me which says it all.

Sleep well Bonnie Lassie.

X

Comment

• Barry52
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2012

I am saddened to hear that we have lost another warrior in Dina. The lady was a shining light through her positive posts and even with all the adversity she had to face during her stay in hospital, her words on this forum were an inspiration to others.

My condolences to Peter and the family.

RIP Dina
              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• panniertank
                Forum Member
                • May 2019

I am saddened and sorry to hear of the loss of Dina. She often replied to my negative offloads and offered positive responses. She appeared to be very strong in dealing with MND . I offer my condolences to her family. Rest in peace Dina.

Comment

• Lynne K
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2017

I'm devistated about the lovely Dina's passing. I met her once in a local cafe where we clicked which was easy with such a nice lady.

We had planned to meet up again soon.

I'm so sorry that Peter, their son and other family have to deal with this bereavement. I send mine and Steve's condolences. RIP lovely Dina.
                  Last edited by Lynne K; 3 January 2020, 05:56.
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2018

Thank you for kindly letting us know the very sad news Doug. Your tribute to Dina is beautifully written and is exactly how I will always remember her.

Dina was genuinely concerned about people and wanted to reach out to as many people as possible to let them know that, even if they felt like they were alone in the challenges they faced, she cared about them and she wanted to help in any way she could.

I was extremely fond of Dina, not only because of her heart of gold and generous nature but also because she regularly encouraged me and cheered me up with her mischievous and chuckle-raising sense of humour.

Rest in peace Dina. I feel very sad you are no longer with us and you will be missed every day. Your lifetime of wonderful achievements will always be celebrated and you will never be forgotten. Your positive energy and the power of your love will live on with your loved ones and with everyone whose lives were enriched by your caring nature, positive vibes, thoughtful gifts and practical help.

Dearest Dina, I remember your love of 1970s disco music and how you enjoyed being a 'Dancing Queen'. Not only will I think of you as resting peacefully with the angels but I will also imagine you getting your dancing shoes on for a Saturday night boogie with them as well.

My sincere condolences to all Dina's loved ones and friends, including everyone who was close to her in this forum family. You are all in my thoughts at this extremely sad time.

Love
                    Kayleigh x
                    Last edited by Kayleigh; 2 January 2020, 23:53.

Comment

• ccinjersey

Those are lovely sentiments as well Kayleigh.

I just wanted to add that Dina started a post here directed to all those that were alone or felt alone during this holiday season. Letting them know that they were not alone. Such generosity and empathy of spirit when she herself had limited time left. A beautiful soul may she rest in peace with the angels as I'm certain she was one to those in her life she touched.

CCxox

Comment

• nunhead_man
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2017

Thank you Doug for the information and I'm sorry for your loss.

Please pass on our condolences to Peter and her family and friends if that is appropriate?

It seems to me a light has gone out on this forum especially given the help and support that Dina gave to me and I'm so sad that the system let her down in the way that it did
                        Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Hayls
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2019

Dina has been such a huge support to me and I’m heartbroken that our care service let her down, she deserved so much more, CHC let Dina and family and the world down, they should be accountable for what they failed to do, I’m so sorry for everyone who was privileged to have met her, she is an inspirational lady, rest in peace xx

Comment

• Jude11
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2019

So sorry to hear this sad news and hugs to the family of such a brave lady.

Judy

Comment

• miranda
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2011

Reading this was such an unanticipated shock. Thinking of her family, friends and forum members she supported.

Comment

Working...
                              X