• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bikerbob
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2018

Bob Adams

Diagnosed September 2018, some respiratory failure but maintained since diagnosis by exercise, mainly cycling on an electric bike and a spinning bike at home. Main everyday problem is loss of strength in upper body, mainly wrists and hands. Great believer in positive thinking and eating well. Mix a nutritious smoothie each day, been taking Curcumin tablets for about 2 months and just started drinking Matcha tea. I visit a Bowen Therapist monthly and have recently visited a Herbalist who has mixed a "Potion" to be taken 3 times a day. In a nutshell, I'll try anything to maintain a reasonable life for a 76 year old!
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Sorry to have to welcome you on board Bob, but I do so warmly.

Keep going with whatever works for you, mentally and physically - the only caveat is not to over stress your muscles during exercise.

Is the 'Biker' reference relating to the exercise bike or a motorbike

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2012

Welcome Biker Bob,

From what you say you appear to have a positive approach which will help you with the challenge this disease brings. Exercise is important but as Ellie says, be aware of your limitations. You mentioned curcumin tablets. I take a water soluble form which is better absorbed in the bloodstream.

Best wishes,
      Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Lynne K
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2017

Hi Bob, welcome to the forums that nobody really wanted to join. But we've all benefited from them in multiple ways. You do sound like a very positive and active person.

What benefit do you get from curcumin? Or, what benefit are you expecting to get?

Take care, Lynne
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Barry52
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2012

Hi Lynne,

I hope you are having a good day. In answer to your question to Bob I attach a link which shows the benefits of various supplements, including curcumin. The list is published by ALStuttu.org

The few supplements I take are not to treat the symptoms of MND but to improve my weakened immune system. The anti inflammatory benefits of curcumin means the injuries I sustain from my frequent falls heal quickly. I am not advocating that anyone should adopt a supplement regime but I believe it works for me.

Best wishes,
          Barry x
          I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

Thanks for taking the time to explain Barry, Lynne.
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• nunhead_man
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2017

Welcome Bob

As said above sorry to see you in a place where I'm sure you would rather not be.

Could you say what a Bowen therapist does?
              Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

Working...
              X