• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Carpenter
    Forum Member
    • May 2017

Text to speech program advice please

Having completed recording lots of phrases into Acapela and downloaded a big file, I thought I had everything I needed to convert text into speech via my own voice.

I now understand I need a separate program that will utilise the voice file.

Grid3 has been mentioned, but I would be extremely grateful for members advice and experiences about what software is available and useful. I want something I could use on a laptop and a mobile phone.

Many thanks!

Doug
    Diagnosed April 2017
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Doug,

Hopefully someone will tell you of their experiences but, in the meantime, have you been in contact with Richard Cave regarding your options?

If it's not him you've been dealing with, he seems to be the person in the MNDA involved in voice banking and can be emailed at [email protected]

Good luck with finding a viable solution.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
      Forum Member
      • May 2017

Hi Ellie

I've been in touch with Mathew Hollis at the MNDA and Rachael, who were very helpful over the recording process. It was he who mentioned Grid3 today.

I will talk to Richard and my SLT.

Things are never as simple as one thinks!

Love

Doug
      Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

And the MNDA will provide or fund any required software??
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Lynne K
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2017

Hi Doug, how did your voice turn out with Acapela? Lynne
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
            Forum Member
            • May 2017

Hi Lynne

The recording process was relatively straightforward. I did it in 3-4 sessions over Christmas.

I haven’t been able to test it properly because I don’t yet have a text to speech system. There is a facility on the Acapela website where you can listen to your voice file. But, probably because of browser or security software problems, I wasn’t able to try that. However, I logged on briefly using a colleague’s system and I thought the voice sounded pretty much like me. The emphasis is odd in some places, but that’s to be expected. Overall, I thought it was good.

There’s no rush to get this sorted out because my voice still sounds fine – I think!

Thanks for the info Ellie. I've contacted Richard Cave.

Doug
            Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Lynne K
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2017

Thanks Doug. Sounds good. Same here about not needing speech on my ipad yet.

As you probably read in the past I did Model Talker. I had to do loads of extra phrases and a final batch of my own frequently used phrases, place names and phone numbers to get the system to be nearer to my natural voice. It had real difficulties accepting my Liverpool accent. It frequently designated it a speech problem so asked me to re-record things. It was a nightmare. But I have something fairly close to my natural speaking voice. I have to use work arounds when trying to have certain words broadcast correctly. Sometimes this is to change a letter or two to effect the vowel sounds and endings of words. Model Talker favours an American accent and intonation.

If I could afford it, and managed to do the required phrases well enough then I'd do Acapela to see if it captures my accent without requiring work arounds to be done. Lynne
              ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

• Doug Carpenter
                Forum Member
                • May 2017

Hi Lynne

How dare Model Talker object to a Scouse accent - one of the finest in the world!

I think you'd find Acapela quite straightforward and you may be able to get it funded through your SLT or the MNDA.

Doug
                Diagnosed April 2017

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with Model Talker, Lynne, it must be especially frustrating as it took so much effort and energy…

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                  If I could afford it, and managed to do the required phrases well enough then I'd do Acapela to see if it captures my accent without requiring work arounds to be done.
                  Even if the MNDA paid for Model Talker, it’s worth contacting Richard Cave and explaining your predicament. He may be able to offer you Acapela, even if it’s at a discount rather than fully funded.

Acapela’s ‘My Own Voice’ product incurs no cost until you decide to use it, so the voice recordings, checking and any necessary re-recordings are free. So, at worst, you could do that and take it from there?

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

MNDA paid for my Model Talker and the download to Typetalk or whatever it's called. I'm always mixing up names and cannot be bothered checking. I doubt that MNDA would pay for a second voice banking service or it's download. I have the voice that I created using Model Talker on my own ipad air2. Acapela is extremely expensive. I looked the other day.

I wouldn't recommend Model Talker to anybody with a Liverpool or similar accent.

Lynne

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Glad you're happy with your voice banking, Doug x

Comment

• Lynne K
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks Ellie. I didn't realise that the recording of voices in Acapela is free. I will explore that. Lynne

Comment

• Ellie
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2012

Yes, it is expensive to buy the iOS licence, Lynne (Windows or Android are more flexible) but the MNDA may be able to get a deal for you.

Worth asking, they can only say No...

Comment

• Ellie
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2012

From https://mov.acapela-group.com/learn-more/

Take a look through the website Lynne and Good Luck!!

"Free creation
                            Please note that, at an initial stage, the service is free until you decide to use the voice in a specific application, giving you the possibility to test and verify the quality of the voice, or even re-record it, before purchasing anything."

Comment

• Lynne K
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2017

Thanks Ellie, Lynne x

Comment

Working...
                              X