• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admin_MND
    Forum Administrator
    • Oct 2015

Experiences of applying for Universal Credit

You may have recently seen a lot of activity from the Campaigns team who are trying to change the way people with terminal illnesses access benefits. There is a Special Rules fast-track in the benefits system for people with a terminal illness, which means that you don’t have to fill out long forms, attend a face-to-face assessment or go to the Job Centre. But this fast-track can only be accessed if there is a ‘reasonable expectation of death within 6 months.’ The Association believes this is an unfair definition of a terminal illness and excludes many people with MND from accessing the fast-track, which is much more appropriate than the standard application route.

As part of the campaign, the team is looking for people who are willing to share their experiences of applying for Universal Credit.

What was your experience of applying for Universal Credit? Did you try and apply via the Special Rules fast-track and were you successful? Or were you turned down and had to apply via the normal route?

The Campaigns team is looking to write-up some of these experiences to use in their campaigning materials and potentially for media work. If you are interested in sharing your experiences for these purposes then you can either reply on here or email the team directly at [email protected]

Depending on your experience the Campaigns team may ask to follow-up with you to find out more details and discuss the relevant permissions to share your experiences in our work.

If you’re currently struggling to access benefits then the Association has a dedicated Benefits Advice Service, which can be accessed via the Association’s website.
    Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am until 5pm
  • matthew55
    Forum Member
    • May 2020

My case is Covoid specific but that said my GP helpfully filled in a 1500 and my PIP came in within a couple of weeks, fast tracked and highest rate. Universal credit declared me as unfit to look for work and I'm hearing on the 20th how much I am get getting. This has all happened within a month so I am impressed. Oh and I was diagnosed on 5/5/20 with Bulbar onset
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Working...
    X