Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End- Thank you all

The End- Thank you all

Hi All,

Looks like my Gran is reaching the end of this awful disease. Her palliative team managed to find her a place at our local hospice so they moved her from the nursing home on Friday morning.
    Saturday morning, I received a phone call from the hospice to say my Gran's breathing had suddenly gotten very bad and that, when she had tried to take a sip of apple juice, she had choked on it to the point her face started to turn blue.

Since then, they have put Gran on a syringe driver that is continuously pumping out morphine- she is drifting in and out of consciousness because of this. Her legs feel cold to the touch and her newly inserted catheter is not even getting a quarter of the way full.

I want to thank all of you for answering so many questions I've asked over the last year and I wish you all the absolute best <3
    "This, too, shall pass"

I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Gran is in her final stage, Chrissie, but I am glad she's in a hospice and being cared for appropriately.

You've been a wonderful grandaughter and I hope you have lovely memories of her.

Wishing you much strength over the coming days, weeks and months.

Big, big hug to you.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    I was only thinking of you the other day and wondering how you and your gran were doing. Sorry to hear that things have deteriorated to this point. Thinking of you and hoping you have people around you to look after you with as much love (and patience!) as you show your gran. Big hugs xxx

Dear Chrissie,

Sorry to hear that your Gran's health has become much worse. It must be very upsetting for you but I hope it is of some comfort that the hospice is making sure that your Gran is free of pain and she is as comfortable as possible.

You are a wonderful Granddaughter and your Gran is blessed to have your love and the close bond you share.

Thank you for keeping in touch with us and I hope you have lots of support from family and friends at this difficult time.

Please feel welcome to stay in touch with us if you would like to.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 21st January 2020 at 00:22.

Thank you all for your lovely messages

Inevitably, we have some family members who haven't been around throughout the whole illness and now suddenly want to know everything and be involved (finding it hard to bite my tongue, but I am doing it for Gran's sake).

xx
    "This, too, shall pass"

Good morning Chrissie

Thank you for updating us and I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother is approaching the end.

I can only salute your fortitude and the depth of your love and care and hope that at least some of your relatives acknowledge that.

Only you can know if prompting them to show that will have a positive or negative impact on those relationships
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Hi there,

It's a real shame that people start to care when it's too late. You bite their head off, they could have made a difference to your and your grans life but I guess she didn't make it easy for anyone.

Pleased to hear she is comfortable.

Hugs Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd January 2020 at 13:47.

My thoughts are with you Chrissy at this sad time. As others have said you are a wonderful granddaughter that has given your all to your gran. I hope that the hospice is offering support to you. Hugs, Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

The hospice staff are hit and miss at the moment. I think they're wary of telling me things because I probably look too young to be considered the 'carer'/'main family member'. I'm sure they'll realise soon enough when all the hype has died down and I'm suddenly the only person visiting every day (started happening already, surprise, surprise).

She had a good day yesterday- seemed almost back to her 'normal' self (albeit that also meant she was back to being her usually-uncomfortable self, too). She had a little bit of ice cream when I was there- first thing she's eaten since Thursday, so it's all looking quite stable for now.

The drive to the new location is hitting me hard, though- a 5 min drive suddenly turned into a 30-40 min one. Very tired!
    "This, too, shall pass"

Chrissie, who is your Gran's next of kin?

Hope you manage to get some sleep later.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.