• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broostine93
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

She's Gone

My Gran passed away yesterday afternoon at 3:55pm.
    I was at work and received a phone call at 3:45pm to say that her breathing had deteriorated quite suddenly. I raced over there, but I was 5 minutes too late.
    Her sister, brother and Mum (who is 102 today) were there with her when she passed, holding her hand. They told me it was very peaceful and she just calmly slipped away. I am so grateful that she wasn't alone and that it was as gentle as it could have been for her.
    I am also grateful that, right until the end, she was able to write what she wanted to say and she didn't go too long without food and water.
    Thank you all for everything- all the advice and support you have given me over the last year has been invaluable. I would not have coped without this forum.

Love and hugs to you all <3
    Every single one of you are warriors

xx
    "This, too, shall pass"
  • nunhead_man
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2017

Good morning Chrissie

Thank you for letting us know and thank you for your appreciation of us.

May we appreciate you for your strength and fortitude?

Please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Barry52
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2012

Hello Chrissie,

I’m very sorry to hear that your gran has departed this world. You can now look back on happy memories in the knowledge that you were a supportive granddaughter dealing admirably with a difficult situation.

Best wishes,
      Barry
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Terry
        Forum Member
        • May 2012

Hi Christine;

Please to hear that gran slid away peacefully.

Although you probably don't think so, you have been heroic through the whole situation in trying to find ways to improve her situation.

Love Terry
        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

Thank you for letting us know, Chrissie. My heartfelt condolences go to you all.

I know I said it lots of times but I shall say it again - nobody could have done more for your beloved Gran than you did and she was so lucky to have had such a kind, loving, sensitive & generous young lady take care of her.

Look after yourself now.

RIP Gran.

Love and big hugs,
          Ellie xx
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Boden1986
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2020

So sorry for your loss, sending love x

Comment

• Deb
              Forum Member
              • May 2018

Dear Chrissie,

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Gran. You were such a devoted and loving Grandaughter and your Gran was lucky to have you to care for her.

I hope you have love and support around you and that , in time, your happier memories will be of comfort to you,

Love Debbie x

Comment

• shrew
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2018

so so sorry to hear this Chrissie, thinking of you all at this sad and difficult time x

Comment

• SarahWP
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2019

So sorry to hear this Chrissie. Sending you & your family much love at this painful time.

Sarah xx

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

Thank you Chrissie for your post at this difficult time and your kind words. I'm sorry about your grans passing but at least as you explained she wasn't alone. Hugs, Lynne x
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Kayleigh
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2018

Dear Chrissie,

Please accept my sincere condolences at this very sad time.

Your Gran was blessed to have your support and such a close relationship with you. The love and happy times you shared will always live on in your heart and in the treasured memories you hold.

Rest in Peace with the angels Gran x

Sending love to you and your family Chrissie. Wishing you strength and thinking of you all.

Kayleigh x
                      Last edited by Kayleigh; 9 February 2020, 11:50.

Comment

• Broostine93
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2019

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your wonderful messages

I think I'm in shock at the moment, as I haven't really been able to cry since yesterday morning- I know that's 'normal, but it feels very weird.

Now to start all of the practical things- the bit I've been dreading for a long time.

One nice thing happened on Saturday, as I was sorting out Gran's room- she had a wind-up musical merry-go-round and it went off all by itself for a good 3-4 minutes. I've never had anything like that happen before and I really do feel like it was Gran saying goodbye to me. It's filled my heart with peace.

Sending so much love to you all xxx
                        "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

• Kayleigh
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2018

Hi Chrissie

The musical merry-go-round sounds lovely and it's wonderful that the music gave you some comfort and peace of mind.

You were your Gran's angel, taking care of her and looking out for her. She will always live on in your heart and memories.

Your Gran would want reminders and memories of her to be of comfort to you. It sounds like the music was playing at a very appropriate time and it gave you the peace of mind that your Gran would always want you to have.

You are bound to be in shock for a while. Cry when you need to cry but if you don't feel like crying, then that is OK too. Grief is not easy to deal with and it puts us through many different emotions. You will always miss your Gran but I hope the sad feelings will be eased by memories of all the happy years you shared with your Gran.

Please give yourself plenty of time to rest and to come terms with your Gran's passing. Your lovely Gran is resting in peace now x

I hope you have family and friends who will offer you some practical help and emotional support.

Take care
                          Love,
                          Kayleigh x
                          Last edited by Kayleigh; 10 February 2020, 13:24.

Comment

• chrissie57
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2018

I have followed your threads about your care for your grandmother. Please accept my condolences on your loss, no one could have done more for their loved one.

Comment

• Broostine93
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2019

Thank you It really does mean so much to me to read your comments.

I am now getting the 'if there's anything I can do to help' comments from the family members- this isn't a time for me to be angry, but I am stubbornly saying 'no, thank you' to all of them. If they wanted to help, they should have helped all the way through this horrid disease- I know you guys will understand what I'm about to say. This bit is the 'easy' bit- the hard bit was trying to think of ideas to make Gran comfortable and being there when she was sent to hospital with a very bad chest infection or taking her to the doctors in a wheelchair and trying to navigate the uneven walkways to avoid her foot sliding off the foot rests. Help with any of those things would have been amazing.
                              I have abided by all of the plans that Gran wanted to have for her funeral and I won't let any 'helicopter' family members take away the final thing I can do for her.
                              Having said that, I am saying to the family that, if they have any specific (additional) ideas for the funeral, they are more than welcome to share them with me.
                              Thank you again, my MND family <3 xx
                              "This, too, shall pass"

Comment

Working...
                              X