• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrissie57
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2018

Stomach problem?

Hi, everyone
    Hope this is the right place to post, I feel as if I only post when we have a problem.

Over the last couple of days, Douglas has been experiencing stomach ache and intermittent nausea. I also feel his stomach is a little swollen.

He does not want me to phone the doctor or the hospital but wants me to ask at our pharmacy and see what people on here advise? I am obviously rather concerned but am unsure how concerned I should be.

TIA

Chrissie
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Chrissie.

Any chance Douglas is constipated - nausea, stomach ache and swollen tummy are often signs of (bad) constipation. Has he an appetite?

I do think it is one of the times to overrule him, err on the side of caution and ring GP.

Hope there is a simple explanation.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• chrissie57
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2018

Thanks, Ellie. I did wonder if constipation could be the cause

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

A GP or nurse can palpate his abdomen and feel for impaction or, worst case scenario, he will be X-rayed.

If it's constipation, a few Movicol (or similar) should do the trick and he may need to take a maintenance dose of laxatives (like I do)

Best wishes to you both xx
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• JAY TEE
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2014

Christie, yes there are problems with MND and our food. I do have bit peg food but can still manage to eat my food mashed up. I do have bad constipation and sometimes up to five days.
          I have stomach pain with lots of rumbling and I drink plenty of water at least 1.5 litres and am naughty have a pint before bed every day.
          This last week have been opened bowl three times.
          If not been in evening after tea take 10ml Senokot and if not gone next day another 10ml and Senokot tablet as well.
          Hope able sort problem.
          Best wishes John

Comment

• chrissie57
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2018

Thanks to Ellie and JAY-TEE for the advice. Doctor came and seemed satisfied there was no impaction, he thought Doug had some sort of stomach bug. Recommended Immodium and dirolite, as normal. Bloating does seem to have subsided and hopefully I can get some nourishment into him.

Unfortunately Doug was refused PEG and RIG so is dependent on what I can put in his mouth.

Comment

• Ellie
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2012

Happy to hear that Douglas seems to be more comfortable.

Thanks for reminding us about Dioralyte, Chrissie - it can be really useful.

I wonder if a month on a good probiotic would help him? The good ones are quite expensive, mind you, but maybe worth trying.

Either way, it can take up to 2 weeks for my digestive system to return to 'normal', or into some form of a routine at least, so it may take Douglas time too.

Hopefully he can build up some lost energy through eating.

Thinking of you, Chrissie.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• chrissie57
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2018

Just to add - Doug's stomach was swollen again today to an extent that I called the Doctor out again. He is now back in hospital, just come back from x-ray to check he has no actual blockage. Seems the advice from the first doctor was completely wide of the mark, I think he did not really grasp how MND can affect someone.

Comment

• Ellie
                  Forum Member
                  • Oct 2012

Oh my days, you have both been through the mill!

Are you any nearer to finding out what is causing Douglas' tummy to swell like it is?

Take care of yourself.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• chrissie57
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2018

Hi, Ellie
                    X ray showed a mass on one side. Doctor said something like she would see what the surgeons said which Doug has taken to mean he might need surgery but it is too dangerous to put in a peg/ rig surely it would be too dangerous to do any surgery that wasn't actually vital to survival? Think we may have misunderstood but Doc has vanished.
                    chrissie x

Comment

• Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2012

Oh Chrissie, I am so sorry.

I feel so useless in that all I can offer is a big virtual hug.

We all wish Doug the best.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• Terry
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2012

Hi chrissie,

Hope Doug feels a little better and they can treat the blockage with drugs.

Love Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• chrissie57
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2018

Despite agreeing to be admitted to hospital, Douglas is refusing food and medication

Comment

• Ellie
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2012

I am so sorry Chrissie - how concerned are the doctors and has anyone mentioned palliative care, especially meds?

Wishing you strength and fortitude.

Love Ellie.

Comment

• chrissie57
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2018

Hi, everyone
                              I am with Douglas now. He is trying to sleep but nurses have had to sort him out twice in half an hour.
                              I am now unclear as to why he was refusing treatment - he has mentioned his vent nurse twice but he has very little energy and cannot manage to spell out what she has to do with his food/medication.
                              He is on a short stay medical ward so I am not sure they anticipated any major problems but my fear is he is giving up.
                              His neuro nurse visited on Wednesday. She was the person who told him he would not be able to have a power chair and she has now told him he can't have eye gaze, which we were unaware of. Combined with the consultant who told him in September that he had 3 -6 months, which end in March, I am afraid he is going into a bad place. Please note, my memory of the conversation with the consultant is a little different and I would not consider a prognosis like that to be absolute. When she said that Doug was just getting over the chest virus and I now realise they did not expect him to survive - but he did and I don't want any self-fulfilling prophecies muddying the water

Comment

Working...
                              X